[ANN] Changes Bar 1.5.2 Available

Changes Bar 1.5.2 available via the plugin manager.

Fixes in 1.5.2:
- Fixed bug where the commit comment editor was attempting to be added
to a disposed project. This should also fix the "Directory index is not
initialized yet." error reported when using ClearCase.
- Codebase now under source control in Google Code.

Any comments or bug reports welcome. You can now file issues online at
http://code.google.com/p/ideachangesbarplugin/issues/entry

12 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Nathan,

the "Directory index is not initialized yet" problem seems to be fixed.
Thank you.

--
Sergei

0
Comment actions Permalink

Nathan, how do you get rid of the ChangesBar created conflict changelists ? "Delete" action does not work on them, and even when they are empty, i can't delete them

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Thibaut,

They should not exist if they are empty. As soon as the last file moves
out of them they should be automatically removed by the plugin; sounds
like something went wrong that prevented this.

You should be able to get rid of them by simply moving a file into and
then out of them from another changelist. I am interested as to why
they didn't get removed automatically though - do you remember any error
occurring? Did you do something like remove a file from your sandbox
whilst IDEA wasn't running?

Cheers,
N.

Thibaut wrote:

Nathan, how do you get rid of the ChangesBar created conflict changelists ? "Delete" action does not work on them, and even when they are empty, i can't delete them

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry, I don't remember what particular sequence of events happened (it was last week).

I'll try what you suggest, thanks

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Nathan,

They should not exist if they are empty. As soon as the last file
moves out of them they should be automatically removed by the plugin;
sounds like something went wrong that prevented this.

You should be able to get rid of them by simply moving a file into and
then out of them from another changelist. I am interested as to why
they didn't get removed automatically though - do you remember any
error occurring? Did you do something like remove a file from your
sandbox whilst IDEA wasn't running?


One negative consequence of your usage of readonly changelists occurs when
the user removes your plugin. The changelists are still marked as readonly,
and the user cannot delete them unless he edits the .iws file and removes
the readonly flag from the changelists serialized as XML. I don't know what
to suggest as a replacement, but I just wanted you to know about this problem,
and that we actually ran into it while testing the plugin here.

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Dmitry,

Yes very good point. I suppose you can just prevent the problem by
doing the sensible thing and not uninstalling my plugin in the first
place ;)

Thanks for the heads up anyway. I can't think of any easy solution
either with the current API. Possibly sometime an API can be added on
plugins, so that when it is uninstalled it can clean up anything like
this it needs to? If this seems like a good idea I can record it in JIRA.

Cheers,
N.

Dmitry Jemerov wrote:

Hello Nathan,

>> They should not exist if they are empty. As soon as the last file
>> moves out of them they should be automatically removed by the plugin;
>> sounds like something went wrong that prevented this.
>>
>> You should be able to get rid of them by simply moving a file into and
>> then out of them from another changelist. I am interested as to why
>> they didn't get removed automatically though - do you remember any
>> error occurring? Did you do something like remove a file from your
>> sandbox whilst IDEA wasn't running?


One negative consequence of your usage of readonly changelists occurs
when the user removes your plugin. The changelists are still marked as
readonly, and the user cannot delete them unless he edits the .iws file
and removes the readonly flag from the changelists serialized as XML. I
don't know what to suggest as a replacement, but I just wanted you to
know about this problem, and that we actually ran into it while testing
the plugin here.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Nathan,

Thanks for the heads up anyway. I can't think of any easy solution
either with the current API. Possibly sometime an API can be added on
plugins, so that when it is uninstalled it can clean up anything like
this it needs to? If this seems like a good idea I can record it in
JIRA.


I think that a better solution would be adding some hook to ask plugins "can
this changelist be edited?", rather than setting a persistent read-only flag.
That way the changelists would become editable automatically if the plugin
disappears. (And we could use such a hook in our Perforce plugin as well...)

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

guess that wouldn't work as it means you would have to reload and modify each and every project to do it :)

Why do you need the ChangeList to be readonly ?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Ah yes good idea.

I shall file a JIRA.

Cheers,
N.

Dmitry Jemerov wrote:

Hello Nathan,

>> Thanks for the heads up anyway. I can't think of any easy solution
>> either with the current API. Possibly sometime an API can be added on
>> plugins, so that when it is uninstalled it can clean up anything like
>> this it needs to? If this seems like a good idea I can record it in
>> JIRA.


I think that a better solution would be adding some hook to ask plugins
"can this changelist be edited?", rather than setting a persistent
read-only flag. That way the changelists would become editable
automatically if the plugin disappears. (And we could use such a hook in
our Perforce plugin as well...)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Done: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEA-14399

N.

Nathan Brown wrote:

Ah yes good idea.

I shall file a JIRA.

Cheers,
N.

Dmitry Jemerov wrote:

>> Hello Nathan,
>>
>>> Thanks for the heads up anyway. I can't think of any easy solution
>>> either with the current API. Possibly sometime an API can be added on
>>> plugins, so that when it is uninstalled it can clean up anything like
>>> this it needs to? If this seems like a good idea I can record it in
>>> JIRA.
>>
>> I think that a better solution would be adding some hook to ask
>> plugins "can this changelist be edited?", rather than setting a
>> persistent read-only flag. That way the changelists would become
>> editable automatically if the plugin disappears. (And we could use
>> such a hook in our Perforce plugin as well...)
>>

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Nathan,
thanks for your great plugin.
Let me suggest some new features (as user options) if possible:

1) Automatic change list switching - depends on which file in editor is selected. If the file is new (not associated), assign it to active change list (as current state).
2) Automatic file switching in editor -
If I change active change list on changes bar and this change list contains only ONE java/text file, then activate such file in editor.

I guess that these features can simply avoid some unwanted conflicts.

Thank you for your consideration.

-CaVity

0
Comment actions Permalink

I've just tried it. Nice plug in. Thanks :)

One tiny suggestion: When I click "Message History..." button, if there is no message in history, please display a message to indicate there is no message or history is empty.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.