I've having a heck of a time getting my references in my DOM to show they point to elements with a name I choose instead of names like "attribute value".
I found a spot which calls the PomService.convertToPsi(...) method. I tried it and it seems to work, but I'm not sure if it's the correct way to go. Also, it doesn't work for performing a find usages operation from the declaration element. Find Usages still reports the element as the base XML PSI type instead of my DOM type.
I found a few posts about PsiMetaData, but I'm still unsure how this fits into the grand scheme of things related to DOM.