v2.11 of the toString() plugin has been released at the offical homepage for this plugin at:
Or using the pluginmanager from within IDEA 4.x.
This version supports IDEA 4.x and IDEA 3.x as well.
For a release supporting IDEA 3.x download it from the official homepage. The IDEA pluginmanager is only a feature in IDEA 4.x.
About the plugin
GenerateToString is a action plugin for IDEA that is used to create or update java classes toString() method. The reason is valuebeans usually needs to dump their fieldvalues for debug purpose, and it's tedious to write the dump code for this. So this action plugin generates the code to dump all the fields in a simple manner.
v2.11 for IDEA 3.x/4.x (mar-24-2004)
- Compiled using IDEA 4.x (build 1179)
- boolean $field.modifierVolatile, boolean $field.stringArray, boolean $field.calendar added to Velocity Context
- String $field.typeName, String $field.typeQualifiedName added to Velocity Context
- Default concat templates does NOT output length/size of arrays/collections/sets
- Line and column number in template editor starts from one as Velocity Syntax checker expects
- New template: AdvancedTemplate (for illustration of more advanced features of velocity macro)
- $set autoImportPackages(packagenames) in Veolicty Template will automatic import these packages (see AdvancadTemplate.vm)
- Packagename seperation must now only be comma (to be consistent)
- Import of packagename now handles all kind of formats (java.text, java.text.*, java.text.SimpleDateFormat)
- Fixed NPE when config.getMethodBody() is null and invoking the action (reported in this forum)
- Always displayed an error dialog if any exception was thrown from the action
- Exception hieracy implemented
- Severe exceptions is raised to IDEA for alerting user
IDEA v3.x users must have patient, the www.intellij.org twiki would not accept uploading new files. I will upload the v3.x files later. And updating the homepage with v2.11 information - you can see the package.html javadoc if you really want to be 100% up-to-date with all the possible velocity parameters in velocity context.
/Claus, the author