Hi Dash, and other P4-cers,
Thinking in loud (this will be not very well organized):
I find the IDEA way of integrating VCS not quite fitting my needs
(I am big IDEA fan though - as you may have noticed).
First, I don't like to have files moved and/or renamed without
perforce being notified. In that case I have to do everything from IDEA
(and from the same project) and cannot easily submit without
I have my personal plugin that intercepts file renaming and that
does all the neccessary changes in P4 (integrate, delete, etc.)
right at the time when I move a file. But my simple implementation
doesn't allow me to rename one file twice (in one changelist).
1. Does anyone else prefer to reflect all file changes in P4 immediately?
(without submitting, just in the changelist)
2. Does anyone know whether it is possible to intercept UNDO
for move/rename operation in order to reflect it in P4?
Also, I often have project files from several clientspecs so I use
P4CONFIG env variable (see p4 docs) to indirectly specify clientspecs.
3. Is anything like that possible with the P4Package? The only thing
that has to happen is that the exec() has to run in the file's
4. May there be a way to visually notify the user that the file may be
(newer version in P4) Any way to change the file-s icon?
5. May it be worth having alternative Perforce VCS plugin that would do
immediately - not deferring it to the submit time?