I've submitted this as a defect a week ago [IDEA-58439 Getting connectionTimedOut exception during maven project sync]. It's affecting me tremendously, however, so I'm hoping someone might have an explanation or even a work around.
The details are in the issue, but the gist of it is that every time I import a project via the maven pom.xml - or even do a Force Reimport - it fails with:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
Some salient facts:
- From the command line, maven builds these projects fine.
- As best I've been able to determine, there's no known connectivity issues either to maven repos that are needed, or VCS issues (Perforce, sadly)
- Even if there were connectivity issues, I'd expect it to fail gracefully so I could at least move forward with work unrelated to the failure
- After it fails, none of the dependencies from the maven pom.xml are available -- thus nothing can be built.
- This does work sometimes -- and I can't determine what causes it to succeed at those points. But usually, once it's working for a project, it continues to work.
My next step is to try to debug it myself in the community edition, but as I haven't done that before I'm not looking forward to spending the time on learning the process.
If anyone knows of the issue, or a workaround, I'd be much obliged!
Thanks in advance,