We are facing the situation that IDEA's Maven integration is virtually unusable for larger Maven projects (say 50-100 modules). Some of our problems are:
- Opening the project takes about 30 minutes and most of the time involves re-indexing of all files, including JDK classes (by comparison, "mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse" takes about a minute)
- Very often IDEA becomes totally unresponsive and hangs forever when the project is opened
- After running a Maven build from the command-line, IDEA indexes all files produced by the build, again causing a loss of time for the developer
Although the extremely poor performance makes me wonder whether IDEA's approach of integrating with Maven is fundamentally wrong, I do understand that such criticism isn't very helpful. Therefore I'd like to propose some features that might improve our situation:
- Allow actions (e.g. re-import) on individual modules rather than the whole project only
- Allow full control over which modules are built by IDEA, and which are taken from the Maven repository, with the ability to rapidly change this "working set"
- Offer a more lightweight Maven integration, similar to eclipse:eclipse and the former idea:idea
I'm a big fan of IDEA and try to promote it where I can, but unless Maven integration improves soon, our team will have to abandon IDEA and go back to Eclipse. Please help!
PS: We are currently using Diana EAP build 8890, but have had similar issues with IDEA 7.