I am getting an identical problem with IDEA IU-90.122 from 90.137 on Fedora Core 10 on a dual-core machine with 4GB of ramand getting erattic i/o to disk. All seems fine and then when I do certain actions like compiling, or some other action that causes IDEA to access the disk it carries on accessing the disk for dozens of minutes after! I often stop and restart because this causes IDEA to become almost unusable.
Observations and Notes:
- playing with Xms/Xmx has no effect
- CPU load is very low during this time(total load on both CPUs is between 5-20%)
- I see no background process reported by the UI (indexing, compiling, etc)
- I see thread dumps being created in the system/log directory whose timestamp seem to coincide with the high I/O activity)
- I have removed -ea and the ypagent JVM param
- When the behaviour kicks in it does so for 5-10 minutes