There does not appear to be any single keyboard shortcut that can be used to switch from a tool window back to the active editor.
Some things that don't work:
- Some tool windows allow you to use F4 to open the selected element in an editor, but that's a problem if I just want to get back to the existing editor
- I can always close the active tool window, but I often want to leave it open
- Ctrl+Tab almost works, but:
- Let's say there are 2 editor tabs open, A and B, and A is active
- I'm in a tool window
- Ctrl+Tab will open the switcher, but highlight editor B (when I really want A, since A is active/on top, and I'm not IN A, I'm in a tool window)
- I can do Ctrl+Tab then Ctrl+Shift+Tab (or Ctrl+Tab then Up Arrow) but that's an extra keypress for a very common (IMHO) use case
Any other thoughts?