There are some issues with this build (possibly all others) and with Flex
development. I'm an experienced Java (IDEA) developer moving to Flex. I
have been trying to evaluate IDEA for Flex using the online tutorial. There
are a number of problems, I thought I would give you some feedback so you
can make this better.
1. For the tutorial is old, it was written for IDEA # 7663. Some of the
screen shots don't show new content available in 8.x releases but its easy
to guess at the new options.
2. Step 4 shouldn't specify a directory for Java source as we can now
specify a Flex project.
3. After following the directions to paste code in the Application.mxml file
IDEA complains that 'mx.controls.Alert' is an unresolved type or variable
which is not correct. Plus IDEA should allow Alt-Enter to create import for
4. One you follow the tutorial to create the MySamplePackage package with
Greeter class and then add the logic to use this in the main mxml file the
code will not compile anymore with the Ant script, it gives an error: Type
as not found or was not a compile-time constant: Greeter.
This is as far as I could get with the tutorial as I am not yet experienced
However I do have some general comments about using IDEA & Flex.
1. It seems you have good coding support, better than Adobe's Flex Builder 3
in my estimation.
2. Where IDEA really falls down is that you depend on Ant. Why? The
build/run process in Flex Builder 3 is much smother, and it works. In IDEA
I am stuck wondering if the problem is with the code in the tutorial or the
build script (since I added a package/folder does the Ant script need to be
told about this?) Using IDEA forces one to both learn Flex and the command
line build parameters, where Flex Builder 3 does not, if you create
something the compiler knows about it and it just works.
3. Furthermore I really don't want to use Ant at all with Flex I would
prefer to use Maven. My take on this is that IDEA is too dependent on Ant
with regards to its Flex support.
Can anyone help with the error reported above? I would like to be able to
finish the tutorial.