IDEA 8.0M1 (OS X) runs of of memory immediately

I have been trying out IDEA 8.0M1 on OS X (10.5.4) and am having a serious problem. Whenever I try to do a build of my application, which isn't that big btw, it display the "out of memory" dialog. I have set my Info.plist VMOptions string to the following:

-Xms32m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -Xbootclasspath/a:../lib/boot.jar -ea]]>

but it throws up the message no matter how large or how I change the values of mx and MaxPermSize.

I have only the JetGroovy plugin installed.

Anyone else seen this and have a workaround?

Many thanks.

Edited by: Nick Atkins on Aug 16, 2008 12:06 PM

5 comments
Comment actions Permalink

If it is the compiler that is running out of memory, you can increase the memory the compiler is given in the settings:
Settings > Compiler > Maximum heap size (Mb)

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

I can't even load our project without 8.0M1 running out of memory (under WinXP). I normally set the max memory to 384m, but even with 512m it runs out of memory while loading...

Back to the previous version I guess :(

Edited by: Dave Lorde on Aug 18, 2008 11:18 AM

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

try increasing the -XX:MaxPermSize parameter

At least it worked for me under linux

georges

0
Comment actions Permalink

I've tried running IDEA 8.0M1 on OS X 10.4.11 and it loads my project very slowly.
It seems it gets stuck after the "loading project" (the one with the messages "loading components", "scanning index files", etc) disappears.

The first time I tried the window stayed grey and not responding for longer than 5 minutes. At the end I got a pop up prompting to increase xmx, which I did.
Then I tried with the new settings and this time it opened the project after about 2 minutes, but memory usage was just below 500MB and everything was terribly slow.

Finally I edited Info.plist by hand as suggested and increased xmx to 1024m. It still takes a minute to open the project and memory usage after GC shows: 462M of 882M but the rest of IDE operations at this point are fast as usual.

For comparison, IDEA 7.0.4 took 20 seconds to load and memory usage after gc was 37M of 75M

I'll be glad to provide any further information if needed.

Regards

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Paolo,

The memory requirements for initial indexing have been significantly decreased
in the latest Diana EAP build, available from http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Diana+EAP

I've tried running IDEA 8.0M1 on OS X 10.4.11 and it loads my project
very slowly.

It seems it gets stuck after the "loading project" (the one with the
messages "loading components", "scanning index files", etc)
disappears.

The first time I tried the window stayed grey and not responding for
longer than 5 minutes. At the end I got a pop up prompting to increase
xmx, which I did.

Then I tried with the new settings and this time it opened the project
after about 2 minutes, but memory usage was just below 500MB and
everything was terribly slow.

Finally I edited Info.plist by hand as suggested and increased xmx to
1024m. It still takes a minute to open the project and memory usage
after GC shows: 462M of 882M but the rest of IDE operations at this
point are fast as usual.

For comparison, IDEA 7.0.4 took 20 seconds to load and memory usage
after gc was 37M of 75M

I'll be glad to provide any further information if needed.

Regards

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Development Lead
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.