Linux JDK6 Selena b#7255 hogs memory like there's no tomorrow

Hi there,

As the subject says, start IDEA, load project, do nothing - within a few minutes its at 512M, even faster and more when
doing something, let alone debugging - had to enable concurrent GC to even be able to work with it...
My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can take mem-snapshots?

kind regards,

Messi

12 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Messi schrieb:

Hi there,

As the subject says, start IDEA, load project, do nothing - within a few
minutes its at 512M, even faster and more when doing something, let
alone debugging - had to enable concurrent GC to even be able to work
with it...
My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can take
mem-snapshots?

kind regards,

Messi


It also happens with JDK5u11, with JDK6u2 and concurrent GC enabled IDEA is usable again and seems to run ok with 768M heap.

regards,

Messi

0
Comment actions Permalink

Messi wrote:

My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can take
mem-snapshots?


Put this line in your idea.vmoptions file:

-agentlib:yjpagent

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0
Comment actions Permalink

Uploaded mem-snapshot "7255_bm_06.09.2007_06.29.27.zip" (which took quite some time to take)

kind regards,

Messi

Mark Scott schrieb:

Messi wrote:

>> My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can take
>> mem-snapshots?


Put this line in your idea.vmoptions file:

-agentlib:yjpagent

0
Comment actions Permalink

On 2007-09-06 11:32:46 +0400, Messi <messi@NOSPAM.example.com> said:

Uploaded mem-snapshot "7255_bm_06.09.2007_06.29.27.zip" (which took
quite some time to take)

kind regards,

Messi

Mark Scott schrieb:

>> Messi wrote:
>>
>>> My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can take
>>> mem-snapshots?
>>
>> Put this line in your idea.vmoptions file:
>>
>> -agentlib:yjpagent

The only thing left is to find a 64bit machine so YourKit wil be able
to open 1.5Gig snapshot... What was the Xmx for IDEA?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov wrote:

On 2007-09-06 11:32:46 +0400, Messi <messi@NOSPAM.example.com> said:

>> Uploaded mem-snapshot "7255_bm_06.09.2007_06.29.27.zip" (which took
>> quite some time to take)
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> Messi
>>
>> Mark Scott schrieb:
>>> Messi wrote:
>>>
>>>> My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can
>>>> take mem-snapshots?
>>>
>>> Put this line in your idea.vmoptions file:
>>>
>>> -agentlib:yjpagent


The only thing left is to find a 64bit machine so YourKit wil be able to
open 1.5Gig snapshot... What was the Xmx for IDEA?


-Xms256M -Xmx1024M
max-permsize is 256M and I enabled concurrent GC

I told you it eats lots of memory, it stabilizes somewhat at about 750MB
heap but serial collection causes major pauses, so I switched to
concurrent incremental GC and JDK6u2, couldn't make it usable otherwise.

kind regards,

Messi

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

So, will anything happen regarding this memory problem? I can also take
a memory-snapshot when IDEA needs around 300M, not sure if this would
help b/c although its quite a lot (with my project, I'm quite sure that
IDEA was ok with around 200M), maybe the problem doesn't show there.
B/c, as you can easily guess, IDEA is close to unusable as long as the
problem persists.

kind regards,

Messi

Maxim Shafirov wrote:

On 2007-09-06 11:32:46 +0400, Messi <messi@NOSPAM.example.com> said:

>> Uploaded mem-snapshot "7255_bm_06.09.2007_06.29.27.zip" (which took
>> quite some time to take)
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> Messi
>>
>> Mark Scott schrieb:
>>> Messi wrote:
>>>
>>>> My Question: How do I enable the YourKit agent on Linux so I can
>>>> take mem-snapshots?
>>>
>>> Put this line in your idea.vmoptions file:
>>>
>>> -agentlib:yjpagent


The only thing left is to find a 64bit machine so YourKit wil be able to
open 1.5Gig snapshot... What was the Xmx for IDEA?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem will most probably manifest itself anyway.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov wrote:

Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem will most probably manifest itself anyway.


Okay, I'll take one as soon as I'm at work again, as I'm abroad the
whole next week, so hopefully next Monday.

regards,

Messi

0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov schrieb:

Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem will most probably manifest itself anyway.


Ok, uploaded 300M memory snapshot 7291_bm_20.09.2007_11.14.24.zip

Hope that helps...

kind regards,

Messi

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello?

Anybody there from JB? Will anyone check this, as IDEA is nearly unusable currently... have to restart every hour or more!

kind regards,

Messi

Messi schrieb:

Maxim Shafirov schrieb:

>> Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem will
>> most probably manifest itself anyway.


Ok, uploaded 300M memory snapshot 7291_bm_20.09.2007_11.14.24.zip

Hope that helps...

kind regards,

Messi

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Messi,

Workaround: turn off "Duplicate string literal" inspection.
JIRA issue: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-21750

Anybody there from JB? Will anyone check this, as IDEA is nearly
unusable currently... have to restart every hour or more!

kind regards,

Messi

Messi schrieb:

>> Maxim Shafirov schrieb:
>>
>>> Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem
>>> will most probably manifest itself anyway.
>>>
>> Ok, uploaded 300M memory snapshot 7291_bm_20.09.2007_11.14.24.zip
>>
>> Hope that helps...
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> Messi
>>
--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks alot!

Dmitry Jemerov schrieb:

Hello Messi,

Workaround: turn off "Duplicate string literal" inspection.
JIRA issue: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-21750

>> Anybody there from JB? Will anyone check this, as IDEA is nearly
>> unusable currently... have to restart every hour or more!
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> Messi
>>
>> Messi schrieb:
>>
>>> Maxim Shafirov schrieb:
>>>
>>>> Yep, having a snapshot with -Xmx300m would be great. The problem
>>>> will most probably manifest itself anyway.
>>>>
>>> Ok, uploaded 300M memory snapshot 7291_bm_20.09.2007_11.14.24.zip
>>>
>>> Hope that helps...
>>>
>>> kind regards,
>>>
>>> Messi
>>>

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.