30 Day Evaluation Not Working

I installed 6763 while the previous EAP key was in use. The key expired, so IDEA kindly shut down. I deleted the key file, restarted, picked 30 day evaluation, and after starting up, IDEA kindly shut down again. Try it again, and IDEA shut down again(that feature works flawlessly).

So, what am I missing?

11 comments

On 2007-03-19 00:15:37 +0300, zmbs <no_reply@jetbrains.com> said:

I installed 6763 while the previous EAP key was in use. The key
expired, so IDEA kindly shut down. I deleted the key file, restarted,
picked 30 day evaluation, and after starting up, IDEA kindly shut down
again. Try it again, and IDEA shut down again(that feature works
flawlessly).

So, what am I missing?


Could you please mail me your whole config directory zipped?

0

This happens to me too. I've attached my config dir.



Attachment(s):
config.tar.gz
0

Maxim Shafirov wrote on 19/03/07 06:54:

Could you please mail me your whole config directory zipped?


I didn't think the 30 day eval keys worked for the EAP releases?

0

On 2007-03-19 01:32:01 +0300, Arik Kfir <no_reply@jetbrains.com> said:


This happens to me too. I've attached my config dir.

This message has one or more attachments. Select "Save Attachments"
from the File menu to save.


Did you manually delete license.key file from config/eval directory?
It's a cheater detection facility comes on the way if you did so.

0

Nevermind.

There was a problem migrating from old evaluation licenses to new ones.
Fixed in the nearest EAP.

0

10x!

Any chance you'll be releasing a new EAP license to work with the 6755 until the new EAP comes out? (the old one expired yesterday)

0

On 2007-03-19 17:39:14 +0300, Arik Kfir <no_reply@jetbrains.com> said:

10x!

Any chance you'll be releasing a new EAP license to work with the 6755
until the new EAP comes out? (the old one expired yesterday)


Done.
New key is at: http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Selena+EAP

0

10x Maxim.

Btw - even without the new license, I discovered that deleting the old "config" dir solves the problem (choosing the 30-days evaluation).

10x again.

0

I appreciate the effort, but I am still having issues with this.

I have been trying to send my config, but the previous version was to large(a different issue).

Using the key didn't work.

I deleted the config, started, imported from 5.1, and all seemed fine. Then, I copied all of my setting from the previous EAP, started the EAP, wait a few minutes, and then get the nice EAP Expiration message.

I repeated the process again, except I copied bits of my EAP config at a time and would start. I was fine until I copied the plugin directory, then BAM!, the EAP kicks me where it hurts again.

I completely delete the .IntelliJIdea70 dir and started again, without any importing. All seemed good. I copied a few of my EAP files, started, waited(lots of waiting), and then BAM!, again, I am left in pain.

Apparently, a lot of effort was put into preventing us from copying previous configurations from non-stall directories, or some such.

I have tried with and without the supplied EAP key. Tried it using the 30 evaluation. But, as soon as I copy over the wrong files, the EAP kicks me hard. I have some settings and plugins which are different from 5.1, and a few plugins are not even in the repository any longer(like NoSelectionCopyKiller), so I guess I am out of the EAP.

Again, thanks for the quick reply on this(it is appreciated), but I just don't have the time to waste on this type of silliness.

BTW, a suggested improvement would be for IDEA to figure out that the EAP is expired/invalid/whatever before the user has to sit and wait to be told so. That is, give me the boot at the beginning of start-up, not the end of start-up; that would decrease the frustration just a bit.

0

Well, never being smart enough to stop when I am behind, I did finally, through a lot of trial and error, get things to work. I had something I needed to do a noon, so I had time to work on getting the EAP working(though it still took me past noon).

It took a couple of retries, and a little hacking of a few XML files, but I finally managed to get the EAP working and with most of my previous settings/configs and plugins. I am not sure which file or files caused the problem; it was not even consistent. I once had an issue when I copied over the live templates.

Also, I notice, if you start with importing from 5.1, that every time you start, it always gives you the message about the 6.0 key and then gives you the option of putting in a name/key, pick a license server, or picking the 30 day eval, and then requests you to confirm EULA. And, yes, it happens every time. If I had time to mess with it, I would see if it still worked beyond the 30 day limit.

I hope that the next EAP is a lot less messy, as I am still have a few settings and such to track down and correct; I am definitely not going to do this again.

0

Maxim,

Unfortunately, once "cheater detection facility" kicks in, there's no way to continue EAP evaluation without losing settings unless you know specifically what keys to kill in your config files. Thanks for making those very easy to figure out though :P

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.