SVN 1.4 support

Do you think IntelliJ 6.0 will get SVN 1.4 support before release? I'm
really looking forward to 1.4 integration :)

Thanks!

17 comments

Hello Grant,

GG> Do you think IntelliJ 6.0 will get SVN 1.4 support before release?
GG> I'm really looking forward to 1.4 integration :)

No, SVN 1.4 will not be supported in the initial 6.0 release, but we plan
to include it in the first bugfix update (6.0.1).

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0

Does it mean that IDEA 6.0 doesn't support SVN 1.4 servers at all?
It has successfully checked out a project for me (.svn/format contains "4") from our repo running on SVN 1.4, and most of commands seem to work (update/status/etc), but in the project view files don't get different colors depending on their status (all files are black) and, worst of all, IDEA constantly eats ~50% of my both CPU cores and refuses to quit, only "killall -9 java" can convince it. Is it just a consequence of missing SVN 1.4 support? Are you interested in a CPU snapshot?

p.s. build 5755, I see the same CPU eating problem on 5734 as well.

0

There should be no problem using a 1.4 -server-. It's using a working
copy that has been touched by a 1.4 client that doesn't work, as the the
local format has been changed, and the subversion 1.4 clients
auto-upgrade old working copy's to the new format when they first touch
them.

Johan

Konstantin Sobolev wrote:

Does it mean that IDEA 6.0 doesn't support SVN 1.4 servers at all?
It has successfully checked out a project for me (.svn/format contains "4") from our repo running on SVN 1.4, and most of commands seem to work (update/status/etc), but in the project view files don't get different colors depending on their status (all files are black) and, worst of all, IDEA constantly eats ~50% of my both CPU cores and refuses to quit, only "killall -9 java" can convince it. Is it just a consequence of missing SVN 1.4 support? Are you interested in a CPU snapshot?

p.s. build 5755, I see the same CPU eating problem on 5734 as well.

0

Then it looks like SVN support bug, as CPU load goes normal as soon as VCS support is disabled..

CPU snapshot is uploaded, 5755_kos_02.10.2006_01.53.56.zip

0

Hello Konstantin,

KS> Then it looks like SVN support bug, as CPU load goes normal as soon
KS> as VCS support is disabled..
KS>
KS> CPU snapshot is uploaded, 5755_kos_02.10.2006_01.53.56.zip

Unfortunately I don't see any serious CPU activity at all in the snapshot.
It's all common stuff - waiting on sockets, painting the UI and so on. Are
you sure the snapshot was taken at an appropriate time?

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0

Yep, it is quite hard to take it in an inappropriate time, CPU gets consumed right after opening a project.

I've uploaded another file, svn_high_cpu_usage.tar.gz
It contains another snapshot, top output confirming high CPU usage, and a couple of thread dumps taken when IDEA was idle and when it hang after file->quit, I hope it will help you find the problem..

0

some update: problem still exists in 6.0 release.

I've tried to update the project, and after waiting for ~20min with 90% usage on both cores I got this message:

Error:svn: Cannot read from to '/wd/kos/work/sw2/java/projects/gui2/src/com/supportwizard/gui2/actions/dashboards/.svn/props/DashboardPreviewAction.java.svn-work': /wd/kos/work/sw2/java/projects/gui2/src/com/supportwizard/gui2/actions/dashboards/.svn/props/DashboardPreviewAction.java.svn-work (Too many open files)

And after this CPU usage went normal, file names also got usual colors.

Second attempt to make full update was successfull, but took too much time, about half an hour. Only 15 files were modified on server, and I guess native client would do it in a couple of minutes at most.

0

I guess this would explain why Idea doesn't see any of my files as being part of a repository anymore?

0

Travis Reeder wrote:

I guess this would explain why Idea doesn't see any of my files as being part of a repository anymore?


If any svn 1.4 client touched your workspace, yes.

-- Marcus

0

Was this fixed in 6.0.1? Doesn't appear to be working for me still.

0

Hello Travis,

TR> Was this fixed in 6.0.1? Doesn't appear to be working for me still.

No, it wasn't. SVN 1.4 support is currently planned for 6.0.2.

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0

This has to get pushed out quick, it really affects my work, having to remember which files were added or moved and having to go replicate all those changes through Tortoise. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

0

Travis Reeder wrote:

This has to get pushed out quick, it really affects my work, having to remember which files were added or moved and having to go replicate all those changes through Tortoise. I'm sure i'm not the only one.


Right now you're better off not using Tortoise SVN at all. At best, you
should use an older (pre-1.4) version, so you won't end up with 1.4
workspaces.

While I do agree with you that this should be pushed out quickly, it's
not the end of the world. IDEA is still a fully functional svn client,
as long as you don't let svn 1.4 clients touch your workspace.


-- Marcus

0

IDEA is still a fully functional svn client


Unfortunately it is not. I also had to disable SVN support due to huge performance problems. Waiting 20+ minutes for 1 file commit isn't acceptable IMO..

0

Actually I think SVN integation in IDEA is a great thing.
Yeah, it works kind of slowly...
I have turned it off now since we moved to SVN 1.4 (BTW, IDEA works faster with it turned off).
But I'm awating 6.0.2 when it's planned to include SVN 1.4 support to turn it on again.
It's very convient stuff for me:) Every my change in code is quite visible and it's very easy to roll back.
We have relatively huge project in the SVN (about 1GB with many files) but perfomance doesn't differ much for comming from TortoiseSVN or IDEA.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.