I am hoping to make use of IDEA's diagrams, which look promising, but I ran into some serious usability issues. I hope to learn that there are appropriate settings that avoid these issues.
1) In a Project with multiple modules, how do I tell IDEA to create a class diagram for the classes in a single module? The context menu for a class has a Diagram item that produces a one-class diagram, and the similar menu item for the Module folder produces a diagram for all classes in the entire Project. And the Filter button doesn't seem to have a scope choice of "just this module".
2) Since the default diagram layouts are not very semantically communicative, it's very helpful that IDEA allows the classes to be dragged around. But when I do that the relationship lines behave uselessly -- although the end-points follow the moved classes, any intermediate corners stay in their initial positions. This creates such a mess that effectively the movability of classes is not a usable feature. Do I simply have some layout mode setting incorrect?
3) In an attempt to prompt the diagram to re-layout the relationship lines, I tried the various Layout functions, but these all reposition all the classes. I couldn't find any function to simply fix the lines according the manually positioned classes.
4) When I expand the class detail visibility (eg: select the methods and properties buttons), that prompts the diagram to re-layout. How do I supress that?
5) If I right-click on a class, and enable or disable details ("Show Categories"), that changes visibility for all classes displayed on the diagram, not just the selected class. And causes the entire diagram to re-layout. How do I set details visibility on just one class?