Unreliable Synchronize on Linux

I'm new to running IDEA on Linux so hopefully I'm missing something simple.

I've had issues trying to make IDEA see changes that happened on files
externally. Basically, I switch to an xterm to regenerate some java files
and when I come back to IDEA no matter how many times I ask for it to
Synchronize it won't pick up the new changes. I can view the generated file
on the local filesystem and it's all good, the timestamps are good, and yet
IDEA shows me a stale version. Compiling uses the stale version, too.

Is there anything I could do to make that work a little better? Maybe even a
forced-sync on a specific file?

This is IDEA 4132 on 1.6.0-b69 on some 2.6.13 kernel. "Synchronize files on
frame reactivation" turned OFF. The offending files are local and not under
source control.

Thanks,

Vince.


5 comments

It's not specific to linux. I get the same behaviour over and over on
windows. Really annoying.

Vincent Mallet wrote:

I'm new to running IDEA on Linux so hopefully I'm missing something simple.

I've had issues trying to make IDEA see changes that happened on files
externally. Basically, I switch to an xterm to regenerate some java files
and when I come back to IDEA no matter how many times I ask for it to
Synchronize it won't pick up the new changes. I can view the generated file
on the local filesystem and it's all good, the timestamps are good, and yet
IDEA shows me a stale version. Compiling uses the stale version, too.

Is there anything I could do to make that work a little better? Maybe even a
forced-sync on a specific file?

This is IDEA 4132 on 1.6.0-b69 on some 2.6.13 kernel. "Synchronize files on
frame reactivation" turned OFF. The offending files are local and not under
source control.

Thanks,

Vince.


--
Martin Fuhrer
Fuhrer Engineering AG
http://www.fuhrer.com

0

This is not cool...
Lately IDEA has been throwing billions of exceptions and I've finally
figured out that they started happening after I did a Synchronize. It seems
like the Synchronize is half-done or something and then lots of
NullPointerExceptions are thrown from the RepositoryElementsManager (I've
submitted a lot of them to the tracker). If I quit/restart IDEA it's all
good again until the next synchronize.

quitting/restarting is painfully slow on this project.

JetBrains, are you aware of such a problem? (for info, my project has
symlinks in the source tree and multiple content roots in one module). IDEA
4137.

Thanks,

Vince.


0

I notice the same problem is still present on 5.1 final (4155). This is on WinXP.

emil

0

I've moved out the FileWatcher*.dll form bin directory and so far it looks that the synchronize is working better.

0

I still see this problem in 5.1.1 (4171). If I do 'synchronize' for the given class
or directory or the whole project the changes are not visible. Viewing the
class with some editor / viewer shows the changes.

It looks that Local History might be involved somehow.
If I delete the local history from :
$HOME/.IntellijIdea50/system/cvs/.]]>/system/cvs
the source is reparsed, and the changes show correctly.

emil

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.