Why I Had To Switch Back To Eclipse ... For Now

I use Test Driven Development whenever possible. Therefore, I rely quite heavily on an IDE's abilities to create new classes, methods, fields, etc. as they get introduced in the test. Also, i rely heavily on an IDE's support for refactorings to allow me to quickly iterate through code improvements.

Unfortunately, using IDEA 10.5.2 (and 11 EAP) is a total productivity killer for this process because of the horrible mess of thread deadlocks in IDEA.  Even just right clicking on an artifact in the Project view sends IDEA out to la-la land for 2 or 3 minutes.

I really love IDEA when it does what it's supposed without these deadlock issues. It's a truly beautiful tool to work with.  With these deadlocks, it's little more than a pretty user user interface.

On multiple occasions going back to version 10.0.x, I've posted the thread dumps. Nothing seems to get better though. The v11 EAP is just as bad.

For this posting, I have attached the many, many thread dumps from just this morning as a Zip file.

So today, I switched back to Eclipse for my TDD activities.  This is the first time in more than 6 years of using IDEA that I've had to switch back to Eclipse because Eclipse made me more productive. It's a sad day really.

I can only recommend that someone at JetBrains load up a large (>60,000 artifacts) project with IDEA 64-bit v10.5.2 running in Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate to see what I'm talking about. Or read through the log files and see how much of my productivity was killed waiting for the deadlocks to break.

Is there a comprehensive plan to fix these productivity killing threading issues, or is JetBrains just going to play "Whack-A-Mole" fixing a particular threading issue on a case-by-case process?  If the latter, I hope you're buyng Whack-A-Mole mallets by the gross.

Environment: Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate; IDEA 64-bit v10.5.2 Ultimate Edition with 4GB available to IDEA; Intel i7 3.4Ghz

jack



Attachment(s):
threadDumps-20111024-092522-IU-107.587.zip
4 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I suppose you tried the suggestions in http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-192 already? Please also post your VM options.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello madjack,

Note that at least one of the performance problems visible in these thread
dumps is already fixed in IntelliJ 11 EAP. I've filed a couple of issues
for other problems visible there:
http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-75940
http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-75941

I use Test Driven Development whenever possible. Therefore, I rely
quite heavily on an IDE's abilities to create new classes, methods,
fields, etc. as they get introduced in the test. Also, i rely heavily
on an IDE's support for refactorings to allow me to quickly iterate
through code improvements.

Unfortunately, using IDEA 10.5.2 (and 11 EAP) is a total productivity
killer for this process because of the horrible mess of thread
deadlocks in IDEA  Even just right clicking on an artifact in the
Project view sends IDEA out to la-la land for 2 or 3 minutes.

I really love IDEA when it does what it's supposed without these
deadlock issues. It's a truly beautiful tool to work with.  With these
deadlocks, it's little more than a pretty user user interface.

On multiple occasions going back to version 10.0.x, I've posted the
thread dumps. Nothing seems to get better though. The v11 EAP is just
as bad.

For this posting, I have attached the many, many thread dumps from
just this morning as a Zip file.

So today, I switched back to Eclipse for my TDD activities.  This is
the first time in more than 6 years of using IDEA that I've had to
switch back to Eclipse because Eclipse made me more productive. It's a
sad day really.

I can only recommend that someone at JetBrains load up a large
(>60,000 artifacts) project with IDEA 64-bit v10.5.2 running in
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate to see what I'm talking about. Or read
through the log files and see how much of my productivity was killed
waiting for the deadlocks to break.

*Is there a comprehensive plan to fix these productivity killing
threading issues, or is JetBrains just going to play "Whack-A-Mole"
fixing a particular threading issue on a case-by-case process?*  If
the latter, I hope you're buyng Whack-A-Mole mallets by the gross.

Environment: Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate; IDEA 64-bit v10.5.2 Ultimate
Edition with 4GB available to IDEA; Intel i7 3.4Ghz

jack

---
Original message URL:
http://devnet.jetbrains.net/message/5325770#5325770


--
Dmitry Jemerov
Development Lead
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

I did try those suggestions, except for disabling System Restore. (That shouldn't be an issue for v10.5.2 anyway.)

Here are my VM Options:

-Xms256m
-Xmx4096m
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
-XX:+UseCompressedOops
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
-ea

Thanks for the help.

jack

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks Dmitry.

I'm downloading the latest EAP version to have a look.

I can't wait to come back to IDEA as my main IDE!

jack

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.