VCS Checkout Comments in 5.0

So is there a way to get rid of the annoying prompt for a checkout
comment when using a VCS system (clearcase in this instance)?

I personally only use checkin comments, and find being asked for every
file whether I want to add a checkout comment really annoying. And
what's the point of having a per-file option to not show that dialog,
I'm getting a bit frustrated forever clicking on the "no I don't want to
see this dialog again" option.

Surely there's some global way to switch this noise off?

Other than that 5.0 is looking pretty good, but compared to 4.5 this
particular frustration is really making me regret not waiting til 5.1.

Guy

7 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford wrote:

So is there a way to get rid of the annoying prompt for a checkout
comment when using a VCS system (clearcase in this instance)?

I personally only use checkin comments, and find being asked for every
file whether I want to add a checkout comment really annoying. And
what's the point of having a per-file option to not show that dialog,
I'm getting a bit frustrated forever clicking on the "no I don't want to
see this dialog again" option.

Surely there's some global way to switch this noise off?

Other than that 5.0 is looking pretty good, but compared to 4.5 this
particular frustration is really making me regret not waiting til 5.1.


As I recall, the Clearcase VCS plugin is not a JetBrains-developed
plugin, nor is it shipped with IDEA 5.0. It is a third party plugin and
I would say that it is with them that the blame lies.

I'm using CVS and I don't get asked for checkout comments. That is a
mind-destroying abomination that I'm sure only Clearcase would have.

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://www.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: (416) 933-5046 | Fax: (416) 933-5001

0
Comment actions Permalink

Well I'd have thought the same, but the Clearcase plugin in 4.5 didn't
do this - though I did have to update it to get a version to work with 5.0.

Guy

Gordon Tyler wrote:

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford wrote:

>> So is there a way to get rid of the annoying prompt for a checkout
>> comment when using a VCS system (clearcase in this instance)?
>>
>> I personally only use checkin comments, and find being asked for every
>> file whether I want to add a checkout comment really annoying. And
>> what's the point of having a per-file option to not show that dialog,
>> I'm getting a bit frustrated forever clicking on the "no I don't want to
>> see this dialog again" option.
>>
>> Surely there's some global way to switch this noise off?
>>
>> Other than that 5.0 is looking pretty good, but compared to 4.5 this
>> particular frustration is really making me regret not waiting til 5.1.


As I recall, the Clearcase VCS plugin is not a JetBrains-developed
plugin, nor is it shipped with IDEA 5.0. It is a third party plugin and
I would say that it is with them that the blame lies.

I'm using CVS and I don't get asked for checkout comments. That is a
mind-destroying abomination that I'm sure only Clearcase would have.

Ciao,
Gordon

0
Comment actions Permalink

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford wrote:

Well I'd have thought the same, but the Clearcase plugin in 4.5 didn't
do this - though I did have to update it to get a version to work with 5.0.


Most likely this is a new "feature" in the updated version. I would poke
the authors of the plugin about it. I don't use it myself, so I wouldn't
know exactly where to turn that sort of thing off in the settings, but I
would hazard a guess that if it is in the settings, you would find it in
Project Settings->Version Control->Configure button.

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://www.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: (416) 933-5046 | Fax: (416) 933-5001

0
Comment actions Permalink

Guy,

Thanks for reporting a problem with the ClearcasePlugin. The "do not show
this dialog again" button didn't do anything indeed. Version 1.34.0 in the
plugin manager attempts to fix that and adds an option in the VCS
configuration
dialog (the one Gordon mentioned).

Hopefully this really annoying, frustrating, mind-destroying abomination
won't
have caused too much harm before it got fixed ;)

Cheers,

Vince.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Vincent Mallet wrote:

Hopefully this really annoying, frustrating, mind-destroying abomination
won't
have caused too much harm before it got fixed ;)


I don't know how you guys can use ClearCase without going insane ;)

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://www.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: (416) 933-5046 | Fax: (416) 933-5001

0
Comment actions Permalink

Perfect, that appears to be much better.

Thanks for such a prompt turn around.

Guy

Vincent Mallet wrote:

Guy,

Thanks for reporting a problem with the ClearcasePlugin. The "do not show
this dialog again" button didn't do anything indeed. Version 1.34.0 in the
plugin manager attempts to fix that and adds an option in the VCS
configuration
dialog (the one Gordon mentioned).

Hopefully this really annoying, frustrating, mind-destroying abomination
won't
have caused too much harm before it got fixed ;)

Cheers,

Vince.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Vince,
Instead of implementing dialog suppression with the custom checkbox, try to re-use Idea's built-in one (which will be much more intuitive) like this:



Cheers,
Andrei

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.