Nice little things that changed in web apps

I know JSPs are having issues, but set that aside for a moment, and
there is a list of 5 little things that changed that I noticed made a
huge diff in my work:

1- When you create a new web module run config, not all modules are
checked off.  None are, making the setup super fast.

2- IDEA now is checking deployment of web app dependency.  I just
stepped on that one, and initially reported it as a bug, but it turns
out it's just a prompt wording issue. What happens is that if you have
2 modules dependent on each other, and the dependee is also deploying
the module it depends on, you can't compile until you make it not deploy
it. In IDEA 4.5.x if you did that you would be missing classes, in
Irida if you do that you get smacked for it. It seems right for it to
not need to be deployed and the dependent modules' classes auto deployed
based on the inter module dependencies. (did this make ANY sense???)

3- App servers start up and stop a lot smoother now.

4- When you're editing a module, IDEA actually remember which one I was
on the last time I was editing, making it very quick to go in and add
more libs etc... No more adding libs in haste only to realize the
selected module shifted back to the first or last one in the list.

5- That new log watcher is a real nice addy, allows me to watch
catalina.out, or my own webapps log.

I'm sure there is more, but I haven't stepped on all of them yet.

R

16 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Log watcher? Where's that?

"Robert S. Sfeir" <robert@NOSPAMCodepuccino.dom> wrote in message
news:robert-E4C8CE.16310414062005@mail.intellij.net...
>I know JSPs are having issues, but set that aside for a moment, and

there is a list of 5 little things that changed that I noticed made a
huge diff in my work:

>

1- When you create a new web module run config, not all modules are
checked off. None are, making the setup super fast.

>

2- IDEA now is checking deployment of web app dependency. I just
stepped on that one, and initially reported it as a bug, but it turns
out it's just a prompt wording issue. What happens is that if you have
2 modules dependent on each other, and the dependee is also deploying
the module it depends on, you can't compile until you make it not deploy
it. In IDEA 4.5.x if you did that you would be missing classes, in
Irida if you do that you get smacked for it. It seems right for it to
not need to be deployed and the dependent modules' classes auto deployed
based on the inter module dependencies. (did this make ANY sense???)

>

3- App servers start up and stop a lot smoother now.

>

4- When you're editing a module, IDEA actually remember which one I was
on the last time I was editing, making it very quick to go in and add
more libs etc... No more adding libs in haste only to realize the
selected module shifted back to the first or last one in the list.

>

5- That new log watcher is a real nice addy, allows me to watch
catalina.out, or my own webapps log.

>

I'm sure there is more, but I haven't stepped on all of them yet.

>

R



0
Comment actions Permalink

Log watcher? Where's that?


All over the place :)

Go to edit any of the run/config, if you're using web module stuff go to
Tomcat for example, click + to add a new configuration, there is a new
table you can add logs you want to watch and push that info to the
console. It's quite cool.

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

Geez, I must be completely blind!

"Robert S. Sfeir" <robert@NOSPAMCodepuccino.dom> wrote in message
news:robert-D63647.16441114062005@mail.intellij.net...
>
>> Log watcher? Where's that?
>

All over the place :)

>

Go to edit any of the run/config, if you're using web module stuff go to
Tomcat for example, click + to add a new configuration, there is a new
table you can add logs you want to watch and push that info to the
console. It's quite cool.

>

R



0
Comment actions Permalink

As big as that window is, it's still not obvious because we're so used
to looking there and there used to be a different bigger window there
for something else I think. I can't remember right now :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

3- App servers start up and stop a lot smoother now.


Hmm, might be. However there's still a problem with shutting down debugged app servers:
http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEA-981

Anyone else seeing this? I reliably get this on two different machines.

Sascha

0
Comment actions Permalink


Yeah I hit that as well a couple of minutes ago.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Geez, I must be completely blind!

Naw, the log watchers are just one of those undocumented, unannounced, ridiculously cool features that IDEA is famous for. They've been there about three weeks, now.

--Dave Griffith

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yep, now if the log watcher could just filter and format my log4j logs like
logfactor5 or chainsaw, i could get rid of the hard-to-use logmonitor
plugin.

"Dave Griffith" <dave.griffith@cnn.com> wrote in message
news:27708732.1118787189554.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

Geez, I must be completely blind!

>

Naw, the log watchers are just one of those undocumented, unannounced,
ridiculously cool features that IDEA is famous for. They've been there
about three weeks, now.

>

--Dave Griffith



0
Comment actions Permalink

You've just written something i need to reply to !

For other purposes I've been developping a little tool which I use to visualize logs on the file system.

Original need was to ease reading big logs (from several megabytes up to 100Mb), and application information which was split in several logs (such as a J2EE app split in 2 application servers).

It's still in a quite rough (not much javadoc, not fully internationalized) state, but hopefully it would be usable and i was wondering if it would be of any value to ayone but me.

If anyone want to have a look, you can get it there
http://www.souvenir-voile.net/java/logreader.zip
To run it, execute the jar logreader.jar
note : it has been tested with JDK 1.3 and 1.5
note 2 : it cannot parse any log files, expected format is currently any variation on the following conversion pattern %c;%p;%t;%d;%m and the category MUST start with one of the following strings . I'm working on easing those constraints

Any feedback greatly appreciated :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Brad wrote:

Yep, now if the log watcher could just filter and format my log4j logs like
logfactor5 or chainsaw, i could get rid of the hard-to-use logmonitor
plugin.

I wouldn't call the logmonitor plugin hard to use, just not highly functional. It works
fairly easily, but it is limited in what it can do.

I would really like to see Chainsaw V2 running in a tool window (or the new log tabs) within
IDEA, but I have no time figure out how to do that.

Alternately, it would be nice if there was an IDEA specific log4j Appender/Receiver pair
that we could use that didn't rely on socket connections. Of course the functionality of
Chainsaw V2 would be nice to see working properly in the UI.

0
Comment actions Permalink

By "hard-to-use" I meant only that I didn't even realize you could filter
out loggers by double-clicking on them in the tree until a few weeks ago and
I'd been using it for a long time. And that the "links" to classes don't
work. So, maybe unintuitive and out-dated would be a better description.
Anyway, it has served it's purpose and I'm grateful to the developer (who
is M.I.A. btw) but there's a lot of room for improvement. I've considered
creating a Chainsaw V2 plugin but just don't have the time.

"Tim Haley" <ymaraner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d8pi6d$r6k$1@is.intellij.net...

Brad wrote:

>> Yep, now if the log watcher could just filter and format my log4j logs
>> like logfactor5 or chainsaw, i could get rid of the hard-to-use
>> logmonitor plugin.
>>

I wouldn't call the logmonitor plugin hard to use, just not highly
functional. It works fairly easily, but it is limited in what it can do.

>

I would really like to see Chainsaw V2 running in a tool window (or the
new log tabs) within IDEA, but I have no time figure out how to do that.

>

Alternately, it would be nice if there was an IDEA specific log4j
Appender/Receiver pair that we could use that didn't rely on socket
connections. Of course the functionality of Chainsaw V2 would be nice to
see working properly in the UI.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Sadly, this option is not available for "remote" debugging. I know that "remote" is supposed to imply literally "remote" debugging. But with my setup, I setup Resin to listen for remote connections for debugging. Mostly because setting up the Resin plugin isn't good for me (or deployment is maven driven, so almost impossible to replicate in IDEA) and I haven't the staminia to figure out how to startup Resin via an "Application" setup.

So, I bet to the IDEA gods, please add log file monitoring for the console of "remote" apps.

Thanks,
Patrick

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sadly, this option is not available for "remote" debugging. I know
that "remote" is supposed to imply literally "remote" debugging. But
with my setup, I setup Resin to listen for remote connections for
debugging. Mostly because setting up the Resin plugin isn't good for
me (or deployment is maven driven, so almost impossible to replicate
in IDEA) and I haven't the staminia to figure out how to startup Resin
via an "Application" setup.

So, I bet to the IDEA gods, please add log file monitoring for the
console of "remote" apps.


+1

Even for literal "remote" debugging, it's possible to stream logs back to
local files (very useful for debugging embedded applications) or mount network
drives that contain them.

--Mike


0
Comment actions Permalink

Done.

--
Anna Kozlova
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

<mkwerle_no_spam@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2e76fea3a84d38c746ed7401dc50@news.intellij.net...

Sadly, this option is not available for "remote" debugging. I know
that "remote" is supposed to imply literally "remote" debugging. But
with my setup, I setup Resin to listen for remote connections for
debugging. Mostly because setting up the Resin plugin isn't good for
me (or deployment is maven driven, so almost impossible to replicate
in IDEA) and I haven't the staminia to figure out how to startup Resin
via an "Application" setup.

>

So, I bet to the IDEA gods, please add log file monitoring for the
console of "remote" apps.

>

>

+1

>

Even for literal "remote" debugging, it's possible to stream logs back to
local files (very useful for debugging embedded applications) or mount

network

drives that contain them.

>

--Mike

>
>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Wow. That was fast.
In the mean time I had already created a Jira issue:
http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEA-3066
Guess you can immediately close it again :)

(I had also replied in this thread, but somehow my message did not make
it to the newsgroup. Maybe a thunderbird problem again.)

Anna Kozlova (JetBrains) schrieb:

Done.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks!

--Mike

Done.

<mkwerle_no_spam@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2e76fea3a84d38c746ed7401dc50@news.intellij.net...

>>> Sadly, this option is not available for "remote" debugging. I know
>>> that "remote" is supposed to imply literally "remote" debugging. But
>>> with my setup, I setup Resin to listen for remote connections for
>>> debugging. Mostly because setting up the Resin plugin isn't good for
>>> me (or deployment is maven driven, so almost impossible to replicate
>>> in IDEA) and I haven't the staminia to figure out how to startup
>>> Resin via an "Application" setup.
>>>
>>> So, I bet to the IDEA gods, please add log file monitoring for the
>>> console of "remote" apps.
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> Even for literal "remote" debugging, it's possible to stream logs
>> back to local files (very useful for debugging embedded applications)
>> or mount
>>

network

>> drives that contain them.
>>
>> --Mike
>>


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.