Loading the project is fine. As long as I work on the Java Source, performance is tolerable. (It still is less responsive with chunky updates compared to IDEA 4.5.4)
But if I load a JSP file into the editor, the CPU goes up to solid 100% and stays there. When I run the SysInternals File Monitor program (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html), it shows IDEA constantly accessing:
idea.exe:3920 QUERY INFORMATION D:\data\IDEAProjects3378\v70\Web\classes SUCCESS Attributes: D
Not sure if this is related to the problem, but might provide a clue.
This directory is there, but it is empty. I don't use IDEA to build or deploy my application. I just use it to edit the code and launch ant tasks.
I did a CPU snapshot of when cpu is at 100% when a JSP file is in the Editor and I am not doing anything.
I uploaded filename "background_thread_100%cpu_3378_alex_22.06.2005_18.21.29.zip"
to ftp.intellij.net/.uploads directory.
If I switch Editor back to a java source file, the CPU% immediately drops back to near 0% when I am not doing anything. And IDEA no longer tries to access the D:\data\IDEAProjects3378\v70\Web\classes directory.
I tried some Optimize Imports and Reformat Code on some JSP file just for fun and I got a number of Exceptions. Also, the Optimize Imports appeared took 5 minutes to complete on a 600 line JSP file! (P4 2.8 Ghz 1.5 GB ram Windows XP) That could releated to the same problem.