cvs update - not (always) pruning empty directories...

I've been noticing something odd over the past few EAP releases,
occasionally, when doing a CVS update, I get ancient old empty
directories turning up in my workspace.

i.e. ages ago their used to be a ./source directory, but the code is now
in ./src/java

When I update ( with prune on ), this directory, and many many others
magically appear ( and are empty ), if I do an update again, they
dissapear and are pruned.

Has anyone else noticed behaviour similiar to this at all?

8 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Mark Derricutt wrote:

I've been noticing something odd over the past few EAP releases,
occasionally, when doing a CVS update, I get ancient old empty
directories turning up in my workspace.

i.e. ages ago their used to be a ./source directory, but the code is now
in ./src/java

When I update ( with prune on ), this directory, and many many others
magically appear ( and are empty ), if I do an update again, they
dissapear and are pruned.

Has anyone else noticed behaviour similiar to this at all?


never happened here - is it possible you accidently unchecked the prune
checkbox?

0
Comment actions Permalink

It's a known bug http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-664
I have seen it too. There is even a workaround: remove filewatcher.dll.

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

It's a known bug http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-664
I have seen it too. There is even a workaround: remove filewatcher.dll.


Hmmm - I'm seeing this on linux where there is no filewatcher.dll....

0
Comment actions Permalink

Now that's really strange...
Problem I'm aware of is due async nature of the filesystem synchronization
with filewatcher.
-


Maxim Shafirov
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

Now that's really strange...
Problem I'm aware of is due async nature of the filesystem
synchronization with filewatcher.


I'm seeing it occur often, but not consistently. I'll pay more
attention to it and see if I can spot any consistentcy with it

0
Comment actions Permalink

Mark Derricutt wrote:

Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

>> Now that's really strange...
>> Problem I'm aware of is due async nature of the filesystem
>> synchronization with filewatcher.


I'm seeing it occur often, but not consistently. I'll pay more
attention to it and see if I can spot any consistentcy with it


It's simple. It happens every other time, at least for me.

Like this:

Update -> get the directories
Update -> prune the directories
Update -> get the directories
Update -> prune the directories

And so on...

I, of course, have it set to "Create new directories (-d)" and "Prune
empty directories (-P)".

/Kreiger



Attachment(s):
signature.asc
0
Comment actions Permalink

You're on Linux?

-


Maxim Shafirov
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Mark Derricutt wrote:

>> Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>
>>> Now that's really strange...
>>> Problem I'm aware of is due async nature of the filesystem
>>> synchronization with filewatcher.
>> I'm seeing it occur often, but not consistently. I'll pay more
>> attention to it and see if I can spot any consistentcy with it
>>

It's simple. It happens every other time, at least for me.

Like this:

Update -> get the directories
Update -> prune the directories
Update -> get the directories
Update -> prune the directories
And so on...

I, of course, have it set to "Create new directories (-d)" and "Prune
empty directories (-P)".

/Kreiger



0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

You're on Linux?


Quite right.

/Kreiger



Attachment(s):
signature.asc
0

Please sign in to leave a comment.