Separate Preview button in refactoring dialogs

Does this change in the recent EAP builds bug anybody else? There's a
couple of problems that I have with it:

1. The Refactor Button is always the default, so if I just press Enter,
the refactoring happens immediately. This is a drastic change from
previous behaviour.

2. There are no keyboard shortcuts so I have to switch to the mouse to
click Preview.

3. Since they're just buttons, they don't remember my preference to
always preview a refactoring like the previous system did.

Ciao,
Gordon

10 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I think the button idea is a great idea. I almost never preview, so it's
one less click for me. It matches lots of other UI's, too, like posting on
a weblog. Maybe the default button could be remembered from your last choice,
though.

-Keith

Does this change in the recent EAP builds bug anybody else? There's a
couple of problems that I have with it:

1. The Refactor Button is always the default, so if I just press
Enter, the refactoring happens immediately. This is a drastic change
from previous behaviour.

2. There are no keyboard shortcuts so I have to switch to the mouse to
click Preview.

3. Since they're just buttons, they don't remember my preference to
always preview a refactoring like the previous system did.

Ciao,
Gordon




0
Comment actions Permalink

Keith Lea wrote:

I think the button idea is a great idea. I almost never preview, so it's
one less click for me. It matches lots of other UI's, too, like posting
on a weblog. Maybe the default button could be remembered from your last
choice, though.


Hmmm. Perhaps I am abnormal.

Sure, with the old system I pressed Enter and Alt-D for Do Refactoring
on the Preview almost immediately but that was because it was easy to
just pause before pressing Alt-D to eyeball the preview to see if
anything was amiss (e.g. holy cow, 1923 references will be changed, WTH
is going on here?).

However, there have been times when the preview has been superfluous
because I knew exactly what it was going to change (e.g. local variable
rename). So I can see the reason for having separate Refacotr and
Preview buttons.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Add keyboard shortcuts for the buttons
(Alt-R and Alt-P spring to mind) and we'll see how much I bitch after
that. ;)

Ciao,
Gordon

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Gordon,

I also liked the old way of indicating I wanted to preview the changes. Not
sure if it's just a matter of getting used to the new way or if the old one
was better, though.

I guess I'll just have to use it for a while to form a stronger oppinion.

Andrei

Does this change in the recent EAP builds bug anybody else? There's a
couple of problems that I have with it:

1. The Refactor Button is always the default, so if I just press
Enter, the refactoring happens immediately. This is a drastic change
from previous behaviour.

2. There are no keyboard shortcuts so I have to switch to the mouse to
click Preview.

3. Since they're just buttons, they don't remember my preference to
always preview a refactoring like the previous system did.

Ciao,
Gordon




0
Comment actions Permalink

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:50:09 -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:

3. Since they're just buttons, they don't remember my preference to always
preview a refactoring like the previous system did.


Is it me or does preview just show you watch classes/methods will be
affected, but NOT show you what the result of the refactoring will
actually look like? It used to be there, or maybe I'm just not looking at
the right menu item or something...

0
Comment actions Permalink

2. There are no keyboard shortcuts so I have to switch to the mouse to
click Preview.


Should be soon implemented.
BTW, when I start fixing this, I'll face the problem with assigning
mnemonics such that they conflict no other mnemonics in the dialogs that use
that wrapper dialog.
An action to choose nonconflicting mnemonics analysing usages in the project
is what I start longing for.
Does anyone else find it would be useful to have?

Eugene.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Eugene

>.. when I start fixing this, I'll face the problem with assigning
>mnemonics such that they conflict no other mnemonics in the dialogs that use
>that wrapper dialog.

>

Please don't forget MacOS X users: we can't navigate with the keyboard
in any of the refactoring dialogs.

Alain

0
Comment actions Permalink

Mark Derricutt wrote:

Is it me or does preview just show you watch classes/methods will be
affected, but NOT show you what the result of the refactoring will
actually look like? It used to be there, or maybe I'm just not looking at
the right menu item or something...


I don't recall ever seeing such a thing. The refactoring preview only
ever showed the things it was going to change.

This reminds of a feature that I'd like to see added to the refactorings
in general: after performing the refactor, show me the results so I
can step through all the changed items and visually inspect them.

Submit a JIRA issue?

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://www.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: (416) 933-5046 | Fax: (416) 933-5001

0
Comment actions Permalink

Eugene Vigdorchik (JetBrains) wrote:

BTW, when I start fixing this, I'll face the problem with assigning
mnemonics such that they conflict no other mnemonics in the dialogs that use
that wrapper dialog.
An action to choose nonconflicting mnemonics analysing usages in the project
is what I start longing for.


I don't know if you already have plans for how to implement this but
some ideas off the top of my head are:

1. Each component has a set of mnemonics in order of priority. By
default this could just be the set of letters in order that they appear
in the label.

2. The set of components in the dialog would be ordered by priority,
with more important components getting first choice of their preferred
mnemonics.

This would be a runtime system, not design-time. With a set of
priorities defined at runtime, the menomnic assignments should be stable.

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://www.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: (416) 933-5046 | Fax: (416) 933-5001

0
Comment actions Permalink

Gordon Tyler wrote:

This reminds of a feature that I'd like to see added to the refactorings
in general: after performing the refactor, show me the results so I
can step through all the changed items and visually inspect them.


Would be very nice. Actually IDEA already has something like this in
Irida: "View > Recent Changes... AltShiftC". I love this feature. But
I would also like (for example) a checkbox on the refactor dialog to
show the latest change.

Bas

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.