Sigh, taglibs, again

IDEA doesn't resolve the custom taglib used by my application. There appears to be nothing I can do to make it happen. For the record:

1. I don't have a WEB-INF, it's built by Ant during deploy.
2. I am using a web module.
3. The TLD is in a tld directory directly below my Web Resource dir.
4. The TLD isn't in a jar, it uses classes below WEB-INF/classes (in the deployed app).
5. I'm using the full URI as defined in the TLD im my pages.
6. I am about to throw my computer out of the window.

Seriously, taglib resolution is BY FAR the most aggravating problem that I have encountered. I've searched the forum, there is no clear answer for how to make this work, it's like black magic. The JSP spec just says that:

1. The taglib must be in the META-INF of a Jar file, OR
2. The taglib must be in WEB-INF or a subdirectory.

It's worth noting that if I point my Web Resource dir at my temporary explode dir which is build during deploy (and thus has the standard webapp format) IDEA still doesn't resolve it, even if I restart.

I think IDEA either needs to define another path variable for webapps that defines the directory below which the taglibs will appear (defaulting to WEB-INF, or even just the Web Resource directory), OR it needs to exhaustively search for TLD files below my Web Resource dir, use the taglibs that it finds and assume I know what I'm doing.

Can someone from JetBrains please list clearly the criteria that IDEA uses when searching for taglibs, so that in future people can use the list to identify why IDEA might not be finding them. Right now it's just guesswork.

</rant>

1 comment
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

The taglib files should appear in correct place of exploded directory.
Thus if you point web resource dir to explode dir then be sure it goes
with proper directory prefix, etc.

Anyway, you can post the issue to JIRA with the small project
illustrating your web app setup is not working.

Colin Fleming wrote:

IDEA doesn't resolve the custom taglib used by my application. There appears to be nothing I can do to make it happen. For the record:

1. I don't have a WEB-INF, it's built by Ant during deploy.
2. I am using a web module.
3. The TLD is in a tld directory directly below my Web Resource dir.
4. The TLD isn't in a jar, it uses classes below WEB-INF/classes (in the deployed app).
5. I'm using the full URI as defined in the TLD im my pages.
6. I am about to throw my computer out of the window.

Seriously, taglib resolution is BY FAR the most aggravating problem that I have encountered. I've searched the forum, there is no clear answer for how to make this work, it's like black magic. The JSP spec just says that:

1. The taglib must be in the META-INF of a Jar file, OR
2. The taglib must be in WEB-INF or a subdirectory.

It's worth noting that if I point my Web Resource dir at my temporary explode dir which is build during deploy (and thus has the standard webapp format) IDEA still doesn't resolve it, even if I restart.

I think IDEA either needs to define another path variable for webapps that defines the directory below which the taglibs will appear (defaulting to WEB-INF, or even just the Web Resource directory), OR it needs to exhaustively search for TLD files below my Web Resource dir, use the taglibs that it finds and assume I know what I'm doing.

Can someone from JetBrains please list clearly the criteria that IDEA uses when searching for taglibs, so that in future people can use the list to identify why IDEA might not be finding them. Right now it's just guesswork.

</rant>



--
Best regards,
Maxim Mossienko
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.