CVS + :ext: broken in 3229

I'm using PuTTY/plink with a private key file. Works great normally, but in 3229 it's completely broken.

The CVS output window has this:

C:\Documents and Settings\dmclean\IdeaProjects\etc 14.2a cvs commit -f -R -m "no message" ETC/gov/nasa/gsfc/sea/science/Instrument.java
Command finished ( 2 )

The message I get is "Error: valid requests expected!"

Of course, this could be a configuration error so I will happily accept suggestions for correcting the problem.

Donald

12 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Never mind. I'm an idiot.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I guess "valid requests expected" meant that it actually expected valid requests :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

What exactly was the reason?

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:30:21 +0100, Thomas Singer (MoTJ) wrote:

What exactly was the reason?


You'll get that message if you haven't added your key to the agent.

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0
Comment actions Permalink

Because the agent returns an error message instead of setting up the
connection?

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:59:44 +0100, Thomas Singer (MoTJ) wrote:

Because the agent returns an error message instead of setting up the
connection?


No, I don't think so. The connection will still be set up, but without a
key being presented to the ssh daemon. Depending on its configuration,
the daemon may prompt for authentication or close the connection.

I guess IDEA's not expecting to be prompted for authentication or
recognises the prompt but not the response it gets when it offers an
incorrect (probably blank) password, and reports an error.

In any event, I don't think that error message is generated by any of the
agent, the ssh daemon or the CVS server (on the basis that I've only ever
seen IDEA report it, and I've unintentionally tried to do things in the
past with command-line cvs with no key in the agent).

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have, at times, had different problems with this setup. It's very difficult to figure out the exact problem - it's usually trial and error.

In this specific case, the problem was that I was using an invalid session name. The correct session name was "dmclean@panthro2" but I had stupidly put in just "panthro2".

Forgetting to add the key to the agent is actually EASY to recognize - you get an invalid password error.

The one configuration problem that never ceases to drive me crazy is forgetting to use plink or putty to connect to the host outside of CVS first. IDEA doesn't trap the prompt to save the host's public key. If you're connecting to a machine whose sole reason for existence is to be a CVS server (such as cvs.sourceforge.net) then this is a really easy mistake to make.

Donald

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:17:19 +0300, Donald McLean wrote:

Forgetting to add the key to the agent is actually EASY to recognize -
you get an invalid password error.


But that's presumably because the ssh daemon falls back to password-based
authentication and rejects whatever password IDEA presents (rather than as
a result of key-based authentication failing)? I believe you'd get the
error about valid requests being expected if password-based authentication
was turned off.

The one configuration problem that never ceases to drive me crazy is
forgetting to use plink or putty to connect to the host outside of CVS
first. IDEA doesn't trap the prompt to save the host's public key.


JOOI, do you have a particular reason for not saving it?

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0
Comment actions Permalink

>But that's presumably because the ssh daemon

falls back to password-based authentication
and rejects whatever password IDEA presents
(rather than as a result of key-based
authentication failing)? I believe you'd get
the error about valid requests being expected
if password-based authentication
was turned off.


True, but why would you have password-based authentication turned off?

>> The one configuration problem that never
>> ceases to drive me crazy is forgetting to
>> use plink or putty to connect to the host
>> outside of CVS first. IDEA doesn't trap
>> the prompt to save the host's public key.
>

JOOI, do you have a particular reason for
not saving it?


Of course I always save the key - when I can.

The problem is that if the first time you conntact a new host is from within IDEA with CVS, the IDEA program doesn't recognize the prompt to save the key, so it gives up and reports a completely unhelpful error.

That's the whole point behind running either plink or putty stand alone first, so that you can see the prompt and save the key.

Donald

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:54:39 +0300, Donald McLean wrote:

>> I believe you'd get
>> the error about valid requests being expected
>> if password-based authentication
>> was turned off.


True, but why would you have password-based authentication turned off?


Security or paranoia (depending on your point of view). It's turned off
here (which is why I associated your error with the key agent).

The problem is that if the first time you conntact a new host is from
within IDEA with CVS, the IDEA program doesn't recognize the prompt to
save the key, so it gives up and reports a completely unhelpful error.


Perhaps it's a limitation of the ssh implementation they're using (I don't
recall which that is, but think it was mentioned in a forum at some point).

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0
Comment actions Permalink

Perhaps it's a limitation of the ssh implementation they're using (I don't
recall which that is, but think it was mentioned in a forum at some point).


SmartCVS uses the same SSH library (Maverick from www.3sp.com). I doubt
there is a limitation in it, which would prevent a successful log-in to SSH
with password or public-key.

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:16:18 +0100, Thomas Singer (MoTJ) wrote:

>> Perhaps it's a limitation of the ssh implementation they're using (I don't
>> recall which that is, but think it was mentioned in a forum at some point).

Actually, forget that - we're talking about using the :ext: method and not
the internal ssh implementation. Sorry.

SmartCVS uses the same SSH library (Maverick from www.3sp.com). I doubt
there is a limitation in it, which would prevent a successful log-in to
SSH with password or public-key.


Yes, it looks like there's an API that's called when the host key is
unknown, and another to add a key to the known-hosts file. I've not used
IDEA's internal ssh method so I don't know how it deals with such a
situation.

--
Mark Scott
mark@codebrewer.com

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.