j2me support - gui designer?

I havn't looked at the new J2ME support in the EAPs but was wondering if
anyone had any thoughts on using the IDEA GUI builder and its funky
class weavering for easing the design of J2ME user interfaces?

I think that could seriously rock...

8 comments

Mark Derricutt wrote:

I havn't looked at the new J2ME support in the EAPs but was wondering if
anyone had any thoughts on using the IDEA GUI builder and its funky
class weavering for easing the design of J2ME user interfaces?

I think that could seriously rock...

We've always thought ME interfaces are simple enough to code by hand,
aren't they?

--
Maxim Shafirov
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Mark Derricutt wrote:

I havn't looked at the new J2ME support in the EAPs but was wondering if
anyone had any thoughts on using the IDEA GUI builder and its funky
class weavering for easing the design of J2ME user interfaces?


Well, the current J2ME user-interface stuff is so simple, there's hardly
any reason not to code by hand, is there? I mean, 'designing' a
userinterface in J2ME usually consists of re-ordering the Form.append()
calls? ;) Are you thinking of something else?

CU,
Edwin

0

J2ME usually consists of re-ordering the Form.append()

calls? ;)

Actually Not. Think that Screen is big enough to fit more than 2 items in a row (May be BlackBerry), and we need to layout the components, we need to add code for (almost)each item to set proper layout.

Ofcourse this is not a difficult. Just adding my comments.

-Anki.N

0

Anki wrote:

Actually Not. Think that Screen is big enough to fit more than 2
items in a row (May be BlackBerry), and we need to layout the
components, we need to add code for (almost)each item to set proper
layout.

Ofcourse this is not a difficult. Just adding my comments.


Probably not difficult no, but having used the GUI designer, and
enjoying the "binding" and "no GUI code in my classes", the whole
separation of logic, it could would be nice to see something similar for
J2ME.

Making use of things like the data-binding wizards etc.

Just a thought...

0

Mark Derricutt wrote:

>> Ofcourse this is not a difficult. Just adding my comments.

enjoying the "binding" and "no GUI code in my classes", the whole
separation of logic, it could would be nice to see something similar for
J2ME.


Ah, yes! Completely forgot about that part! In my mind 'GUI builder' had
become synonymous with "freedom from *LayoutManager nightmare" - but of
course it does more than that... Interesting. That would be useful.

CU,
Edwin

0

Hello,
Right now our 'GUI Designer' has some limitations and we can't adapt it to
J2ME environment without work.
In any case we'll do something in this direction :)
Thank you.

--
Anna Kozlova
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


"Edwin van Ouwerkerk Moria" <edwin@cadwal.org> wrote in message
news:cpqg0c$pjk$1@is.intellij.net...

Mark Derricutt wrote:

>

>> Ofcourse this is not a difficult. Just adding my comments.

>

enjoying the "binding" and "no GUI code in my classes", the whole
separation of logic, it could would be nice to see something similar for
J2ME.

>

Ah, yes! Completely forgot about that part! In my mind 'GUI builder' had
become synonymous with "freedom from *LayoutManager nightmare" - but of
course it does more than that... Interesting. That would be useful.

>

CU,
Edwin



0

Anna Kozlova (JetBrains) wrote:

Right now our 'GUI Designer' has some limitations and we can't adapt it to
J2ME environment without work.
In any case we'll do something in this direction :)


Hey Anna, excellent - will be interesting to see how this progresses.

0

To be honest I'd like to see the GUI designer evolve into something generic for laying out all forms of content: web, Swing, midlet, etc.

Not a whole lot of reason why it couldn't head in that direction IMO.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.