Find Usages in libraries

I'm running build 2235, JDK 1.4.2_05 on Debian Linux Kernel 2.6.6.

I have a remote set of classes and JARs that are added to my path in IDEA. I also have a few local source files that rely on stuff in the path, pretty basic. When I run 'Find Usages' on a local class method that I know is being used in some of the remote classes, it isn't being found. Is this intentional? It's important that this works since I do a lot of refactoring. Should I submit a but report?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I found similar posts, but not the same issue.

Merci!
Dustin

6 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Dustin wrote:

I'm running build 2235, JDK 1.4.2_05 on Debian Linux Kernel 2.6.6.

I have a remote set of classes and JARs that are added to my path in IDEA. I also have a few local source files that rely on stuff in the path, pretty basic. When I run 'Find Usages' on a local class method that I know is being used in some of the remote classes, it isn't being found. Is this intentional? It's important that this works since I do a lot of refactoring. Should I submit a but report?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I found similar posts, but not the same issue.

Merci!
Dustin

Make sure you have Project&Libs in scope combo in the find usages
dialog. Please also note IDEA is able to find usages in libs only if
those libs have sources attached.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry, I forgot to add that I do have sources attached to the remote classes, and the Project & Libraries is selected as the scope. If I run 'Find Usages' on a remote source file, it finds it in the remote classes only. I'll check my Project Path settings to see if everything's in order, but I can't think of anything else.

Dustin

0
Comment actions Permalink

One more thing...

The remote classes and libraries are Global Libraries in IDEA.

Dustin

0
Comment actions Permalink

I, too, see this behavior time to time.

Dustin wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to add that I do have sources attached to the remote classes,
and the Project & Libraries is selected as the scope. If I run 'Find Usages'
on a remote source file, it finds it in the remote classes only. I'll check
my Project Path settings to see if everything's in order, but I can't think
of anything else.

Dustin

0
Comment actions Permalink

hi.

Are you using multiple modules? If so have you made sure that module dependencies make your usage search valid.

Have you for any reason added classes directories both as a compiling directory and as a library reference. I have had to do that in the past because the IDEA modules won't allow circular dependencies. This double referencing of classes causes nasty things to happen to usages searches and other indexing related features.

This, as far as I can tell is not a bug, since it's really not something I should ever want to do... blame it on legacy code!

Finally... what ever you do, please make sure you make a bug report and not as you stated a but report... :)

Florian Hehelen

0
Comment actions Permalink

Ha! Nice catch, thanks. So this is why I never got that QA job...

My output directory is not added as a library reference. I've just started a new Project and am using multiple modules this time around just to try something different. I've just carried over the same Project from IDEA 3.0.5 with each new Pallada, so who knows...

Thanks and regards,
Dustin

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.