OS X Typing speed just horrible

Ok is there a way to speed up editor typing in IDEA OS X?

I've tried this with 4.0.4 and Pallada 2026, and when I type, I type fast enough that I litterally wait about 3 seconds for text to catch up to what I typed. It's really lame.

So question is:
1- Is there a way this can be sped up? I am using ALL defaults in the IDE, so I didn't customize a font or anything.

2- If #1 is no, why is it so dang slow?

Thanks
R

13 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I've been seeing the same problem, but it is intermittent. I have been unable to make it happen consistently enough to give the JetBrtains guys anything useful to work with.

For me, I suspect it begins to happen once I start including some of the external libraries I need into the project. For example, I use Log4J, Xalan/Xerces, FOP, JUnit, XMLUnit, etc. Once I include all of the libraries I need, the slowdown becomes unbearable.

Perhaps you can provide more info on what you are doing so that the JB folks can figure out something. Are you working with a large project? Do you have lots of external libraries? Anything else of interest?

0
Comment actions Permalink

I wish I could nail it...
It happens in all my projects. Doesn't matter the number of libraries I have.

Just recently (like minutes ago) have been having this problem in a text file I just created, there was NO text in it, and since it's a text file there should be no parsing of anything, or determining errors on a page etc...

It just always happens.

IDEA is the only app running right now (well only app in the finder that is)

The settings for memory are default settings, current memory usage is 32MB of 95MB.

OS X support in general is just sub-par.

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

I wish I could nail it...
It happens in all my projects. Doesn't matter the number of libraries I have.

Just recently (like minutes ago) have been having this problem in a text file I just created, there was NO text in it, and since it's a text file there should be no parsing of anything, or determining errors on a page etc...

It just always happens.

IDEA is the only app running right now (well only app in the finder that is)

The settings for memory are default settings, current memory usage is 32MB of 95MB.

OS X support in general is just sub-par.

R


Is that true the problem appears only when typing in the file's longest line (thus the only line in one line file)? At
least that's what I was able to reproduce.
We're to update viewport size and it seems like scrollpane.getViewport().setViewSize() doesn't have acceptable
performance on Mac.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

I can confirm that in fact the problem is more pronounced when starting the file and typing, and it does get better with more lines, however the better is not much better.

Maybe you can bug apple about it, maybe there's another way to do what you need to do.

I don't see this in CodeGuide or JDeveloper 10g.

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

Maybe you can bug apple about it, maybe there's another way to do what you need to do.

Sure, we'll do our best.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

Ok is there a way to speed up editor typing in IDEA OS X?

I've tried this with 4.0.4 and Pallada 2026, and when I type, I type fast enough that I litterally wait about 3 seconds for text to catch up to what I typed. It's really lame.

So question is:
1- Is there a way this can be sped up? I am using ALL defaults in the IDE, so I didn't customize a font or anything.

2- If #1 is no, why is it so dang slow?

Thanks
R

What are your hardware conditions BTW?

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

>> Ok is there a way to speed up editor typing in IDEA OS X?
>>
>> I've tried this with 4.0.4 and Pallada 2026, and when I type, I type
>> fast enough that I litterally wait about 3 seconds for text to catch
>> up to what I typed. It's really lame.
>>
>> So question is:
>> 1- Is there a way this can be sped up? I am using ALL defaults in the
>> IDE, so I didn't customize a font or anything.
>>
>> 2- If #1 is no, why is it so dang slow?
>>
>> Thanks
>> R


What are your hardware conditions BTW?


I can confirm that it is related to long lines, not 100% sure if it is
about the longest line, but at least it seems so.

I am on a Powerbook G4 1,33 GHz with 1 GB RAM running OSX 10.3.3 with
the latest JDK.

Michael

0
Comment actions Permalink

15" Aluminum PowerBook
512MB Of RAM

0
Comment actions Permalink

1Ghz processor

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Robert S. Sfeir" <robert@codepuccino.com> wrote in message
news:29261003.1085427652642.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

15" Aluminum PowerBook
512MB Of RAM


Aluminum? Programs just cannot work wrong on this hi-end equipment ;)


0
Comment actions Permalink

Ok Wise guy :)

It's to infer that it's the newer models which have slightly different hardware than the old Titanium ones :-P

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

Ok Wise guy :)

It's to infer that...


Actually, it's to imply it (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/0174.html ).

Another wise guy ;)

0
Comment actions Permalink

No, I was hoping that what I said would infer that I know the difference between Titanium and Aluminum PBs, because I looked it up and discussed it with Mac experts, and that it would imply that it might make a difference to JB :)

R

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.