How to get a thread dump of IDEA

I am running into a problem where Build 804 will start chewing up all
available memory and go to 100% CPU, I would love to know what is
causing that to happen by doing a thread dump and then file a bug in
tracker.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a search through the
NG threads I had and didn't see it.

Peter

18 comments

On windows you may press Ctrl-Break in IDEA console window. However if you
start IDEA with idea.exe launcher it does not have console window. Starting
idea.exe with Control key pressed should start it with console.

There should be some option to be changed in idea.lax file to always start
with the console (but I don't remember which one). BTW, do you think it's a
good idea to enable console window by default for EAP builds?

--
Valentin Kipiatkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

"Peter Mularien" <pmularien@dNeOpSlPoAyM.com> wrote in message
news:b57gpq$cje$1@is.intellij.net...

I am running into a problem where Build 804 will start chewing up all
available memory and go to 100% CPU, I would love to know what is
causing that to happen by doing a thread dump and then file a bug in
tracker.

>

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a search through the
NG threads I had and didn't see it.

>

Peter

>


0

Valentin -

On windows you may press Ctrl-Break in IDEA console window. However if you
start IDEA with idea.exe launcher it does not have console window. Starting
idea.exe with Control key pressed should start it with console.


Great, I did not know about that Control startup option, I just tried it
and it works flawlessly.

There should be some option to be changed in idea.lax file to always start
with the console (but I don't remember which one). BTW, do you think it's a
good idea to enable console window by default for EAP builds?


Yes, I think it's a very good idea for EAP, being able to see a console
makes proper reporting of bugs much easier. It would be great if that
option in the .lax file could be tracked down and documented at some point.

Thanks!
Peter

0

Valentin Kipiatkov wrote:

There should be some option to be changed in idea.lax file to always start
with the console (but I don't remember which one). BTW, do you think it's a
good idea to enable console window by default for EAP builds?


Yes, that would be good. Additionally it might be a good idea to have a
tip of the day that gives all the keyboard shortcuts you might need
during eap (e.g. how to get a thread dump/where to find the log files/
where to find the .lax file and what is for/on what we should focus on
for testing and what you consider to be work in progress ...)

Dirk

0

BTW, do you think it's a
good idea to enable console window by default for EAP
builds?



Very much so. In doing so, will the exceptions continue to go to the log as well? Or is it an either/or situation?

Mike


0

it would be nice to see the logging go to the console and the file by default... and maybe even have the level set to DEBUG or INFO...

0

At least on Linux, use the following in your idea.lax:

lax.stderr.redirect=console
lax.stdout.redirect=console
lax.stdin.redirect=console

I am not sure it works on Windows, but I guess it should.

Friendly,
Dmitry

Peter Mularien wrote:

Valentin -

>> On windows you may press Ctrl-Break in IDEA console window. However if
>> you start IDEA with idea.exe launcher it does not have console window.
>> Starting idea.exe with Control key pressed should start it with console.


Great, I did not know about that Control startup option, I just tried it
and it works flawlessly.

>> There should be some option to be changed in idea.lax file to always
>> start with the console (but I don't remember which one). BTW, do you
>> think it's a good idea to enable console window by default for EAP
>> builds?


Yes, I think it's a very good idea for EAP, being able to see a console
makes proper reporting of bugs much easier. It would be great if that
option in the .lax file could be tracked down and documented at some
point.

Thanks!
Peter


--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:13:05 +0300, Dmitry Lomov wrote:

At least on Linux, use the following in your idea.lax:

lax.stderr.redirect=console
lax.stdout.redirect=console
lax.stdin.redirect=console


I'm sure this has been asked and answered before - but where is idea.lax
on linux? Its not no where on my setup?

0

Mark Derricutt wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:13:05 +0300, Dmitry Lomov wrote:

>> At least on Linux, use the following in your idea.lax:
>>
>> lax.stderr.redirect=console
>> lax.stdout.redirect=console
>> lax.stdin.redirect=console


I'm sure this has been asked and answered before - but where is idea.lax
on linux? Its not no where on my setup?


If you use installer, it is your in is IDEA's bin folder.

Friendly,
Dmitry

--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Dan Bachelder wrote:

it would be nice to see the logging go to the console and the file by default... and maybe even have the level set to DEBUG or INFO...


You should be able to do this by editing the log.xml in yout IDEA bin
directory. It seems to be a standard Log4j configuration file.

Ciao,
Gordon


--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://java.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: 416-643-4846 | Fax: 416-594-1919

0

right. the key part of that statement was "by default"... If this is an EAP build, it should come out of the box configured to provide as much info about problems as possible..

0

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:53:34 +0300, Dmitry Lomov wrote:

If you use installer, it is your in is IDEA's bin folder.


Nah - just untarr'd the tgz...

0

Mark Derricutt wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:53:34 +0300, Dmitry Lomov wrote:

>> If you use installer, it is your in is IDEA's bin folder.


Nah - just untarr'd the tgz...


Well - then just press Ctrl+/ in tty associated with IDEA jvm.
See my post in the other thread for detailed instructions.

Good luck!
Friendly,
Dmitry

--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Dmitry Lomov wrote:

Well - then just press Ctrl+/ in tty associated with IDEA jvm.

Oops sorry - the actual key is Ctrl+\. Anyway, it is depnendent on
your terminal - use 'stty -a' to find out:
$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 32; columns 104; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ]]>; ...
...
$

Key for quit is your guy.

Dmitry
--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:11:36 +0300, Dmitry Lomov wrote:

Key for quit is your guy.


Got it working, how to find when its stalling and try it.

0

Ctrl-Break is not working for me. I'm using build 2013 on Windows running from the bat script not exe. What do I need to do to get a dump?

0

Did you press Ctrl-Break in IDEA's console (not in IDEA's main window)?

Tom

0

Yep.

"Thomas Singer (MoTJ)" <idea@NOregnisSpam.de> wrote in message
news:c6bl16$5m9$1@is.intellij.net...

Did you press Ctrl-Break in IDEA's console (not in IDEA's main window)?

>

Tom



0

Nevermind. I had changed java.exe to javaw.exe.

"Brad Lane" <no_mail@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:12745264.1082740530413.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

Ctrl-Break is not working for me. I'm using build 2013 on Windows running

from the bat script not exe. What do I need to do to get a dump?


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.