AWT support in UI designer

Hi, I saw that Idea will not support SWT, but what about AWT ?
I think it shouldn't be very hard to have awt support and it's important
for compatibility ...

13 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Matthieu Casanova wrote:

Hi, I saw that Idea will not support SWT, but what about AWT ?
I think it shouldn't be very hard to have awt support and it's important
for compatibility ...


We will not support AWT, because it's not a right thing to mix Swing and
AWT components together. It causes only problems.

Regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
_____________________
JetBrains

0
Comment actions Permalink

>Matthieu Casanova wrote:
>> Hi, I saw that Idea will not support SWT, but what about AWT ?
>> I think it shouldn't be very hard to have awt support and it's important
>> for compatibility ...
>>
>
>We will not support AWT, because it's not a right thing to mix Swing and
>AWT components together. It causes only problems.

You are right, when you put components in the GUI designer window.
If you would put "component outlines" (resizable rectangles), it would
be possible (even with SWT components)...

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:

We will not support AWT, because it's not a right thing to mix Swing and
AWT components together. It causes only problems.


In fact my idea was not to put AWT and SWING together, but to choose an
AWT or a SWING form from the beginning.

0
Comment actions Permalink

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:03:53 +0200, Matthieu Casanova <hoyo@free.fr>
wrote:

>Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:
>> We will not support AWT, because it's not a right thing to mix Swing and
>> AWT components together. It causes only problems.
>
>In fact my idea was not to put AWT and SWING together, but to choose an
>AWT or a SWING form from the beginning.

The problem is, that IDEA is a Swing application and if you would put
AWT components on the form, IDEA becomes a mix of AWT and Swing
components.

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

The problem is, that IDEA is a Swing application and if you would put
AWT components on the form, IDEA becomes a mix of AWT and Swing
components.


Except if we lay out placeholders for components ;)

Guillaume


0
Comment actions Permalink

>> The problem is, that IDEA is a Swing application and if you would put
>> AWT components on the form, IDEA becomes a mix of AWT and Swing
>> components.
>
>Except if we lay out placeholders for components ;)

Correct ;) (I did not dare to name it again)

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Tom,

I really think AWT support for UI designer is a must have feature
as building an UI is often because of the need for an applet :
most applets still focus today on AWT-only because of lack of
Java 2 support in MSIE (and don't want to mandate Java Plugin or
Java Web-start initial download).

Your product is great, and it should be a pity to forget support
for such a major client-side technology.

Jerome.

Thomas Singer wrote:
>>>The problem is, that IDEA is a Swing application and if you would put
>>>AWT components on the form, IDEA becomes a mix of AWT and Swing
>>>components.
>>
>>Except if we lay out placeholders for components ;)


Correct ;) (I did not dare to name it again)

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Jérôme Beau wrote:

Hello Tom,

I really think AWT support for UI designer is a must have feature as
building an UI is often because of the need for an applet : most applets
still focus today on AWT-only because of lack of Java 2 support in MSIE
(and don't want to mandate Java Plugin or Java Web-start initial download).

Your product is great, and it should be a pity to forget support for
such a major client-side technology.

Jerome.

Thomas Singer wrote:

>>>> The problem is, that IDEA is a Swing application and if you would put
>>>> AWT components on the form, IDEA becomes a mix of AWT and Swing
>>>> components.
>>>
>>>
>>> Except if we lay out placeholders for components ;)
>>
>>
>>
>> Correct ;) (I did not dare to name it again)
>>
>> Tom

AFAIK applets is a dead technology...

--
Vladimir Kondratyev
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

AFAIK applets is a dead technology...


Why? Sun just rename Applet to Plugin :)


0
Comment actions Permalink

Alexey Efimov wrote:
>>AFAIK applets is a dead technology...


Why? Sun just rename Applet to Plugin :)


1. applets doesn't have good way to communicate with browser.
2. Java (Swing/AWT) lacks all the features that flash has.
3. To make applet work usual user should download and install 15Mb JRE
(which is not bundled with usual browser IE)

Sometime I see that applets are used when Web start should be.

--
Vladimir Kondratyev
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Vladimir,

Vladimir Kondratyev (JetBrains) wrote:

Alexey Efimov wrote:

>>> AFAIK applets is a dead technology...
>>
>> Why? Sun just rename Applet to Plugin :)
>>

1. applets doesn't have good way to communicate with browser.


Agree, but nearly none of them try to. However applet are an
acceptable way to provide a complex Web UI that interacts with a
server.

2. Java (Swing/AWT) lacks all the features that flash has.


Maybe, but I'm targeting a complex UI communicating with a Java
server. And I don't want to be locked with proprietary Macromedia
servers.

3. To make applet work usual user should download and install 15Mb JRE
(which is not bundled with usual browser IE)


That what I want to avoid by using Java 1.1 AWT only. And that
why I expect IDEA to support AWT UI building (i.e. lightweight
applets building).

Sometime I see that applets are used when Web start should be.


Of course, but as with the Java Plugin you still need an first
heavy JRE download to use Web start.

So there's a real need here, IMHO.

Jerome.

0
Comment actions Permalink

2. Java (Swing/AWT) lacks all the features that flash has.


Maybe, but I'm targeting a complex UI communicating with a Java
server. And I don't want to be locked with proprietary Macromedia
servers.


You are wrong here. Flash works just fine/communicates fine with other than MM servers.
If you mean specific MM communication/remoting servers, there are already few other vendors,
most of them commercial. GPL-ed one I used is Oregano: http://www.oregano-server.org/
supports even clustering if you need it..
-m

0
Comment actions Permalink

Alexey Efimov wrote:
>>AFAIK applets is a dead technology...


Not true. Sun just made some very nice deployment
enhancements in 1.4.

Why? Sun just rename Applet to Plugin :)


1. applets doesn't have good way to communicate with browser.


That doesn't matter to us. We need a rich UI that has can talk nicely with the server.
The fact that it is in the browser is only to get easy deployment.

2. Java (Swing/AWT) lacks all the features that flash has.


AFAIK, flash isn't supported by SILK or the other commercial testing tools. That is far more important to
us than a glitzy UI. Also java applet deployment is much more mature than flash deployment.

3. To make applet work usual user should download and install 15Mb JRE
(which is not bundled with usual browser IE)


Our customers will do that 1 time install to get the rich UI because no further installs will be needed.

Sometime I see that applets are used when Web start should be.


I would love to be able to use WebStart instead, but we have to be able to fit in with web pages nicely.

Neil Galarneau

Vladimir Kondratyev



P.S. I am not arguing for AWT support, just explaining why applets are an important technology.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.