IDEA 7.0.4: module types not recognized on project load

Hi

As of a few weeks ago, after I rebuild my local module repository (and re-imported all modules into my project), on startup, the types for two modules are not recognized. On opening the project, I get a dialog:
"Cannot determine module type for the following modules:

module-a
module-b

All mentioned modules will be treated as JAVA modules".

What do I need to do to get this message to go away? It blocks the startup process so I need to hang around till the dialog appears, then close it, for startup to continue (I'm on a laptop so re-open everything at least once per day).


Thanks
Patrick

3 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Patrick,

Hi

As of a few weeks ago, after I rebuild my local module repository (and
re-imported all modules into my project), on startup, the types for
two modules are not recognized. On opening the project, I get a
dialog:

"Cannot determine module type for the following modules:

module-a
module-b
All mentioned modules will be treated as JAVA modules".

What do I need to do to get this message to go away? It blocks the
startup process so I need to hang around till the dialog appears, then
close it, for startup to continue (I'm on a laptop so re-open
everything at least once per day).

Thanks
Patrick


What is the actual type of these modules?

Alexander.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Alex

What is the actual type of these modules?

Alexander.


I'm not too familiar with the module-type concept in IDEA, but I guess these are Java modules (with webapp and spring facets).

Thanks
Patrick

0
Comment actions Permalink

I think the issue you might be having is you're using the maven idea plugin to generate you project files. That's how I had it, and how I stumbled across this thread.

With IntelliJ 7.0, this would create some error messages but IntelliJ would still figure itself out and would end up working anyway.

With 8.0 M1, it seems to have more trouble and completely loses all your facet settings. (You can get them back if you repeatedly enable/disable the autodetection in the facet list, "applying" the change after each enable disable. Eventually, all the facets will get added again).

To FIX the issue once and for all, manually edit your project .iml file to explicitly use type="JAVA_MODULE" instead of type="J2EE_WEB_MODULE" or whatever junk in there that is causing the problem.

You'll have to do this every time you use mvn idea:idea, though.

HTH

1

Please sign in to leave a comment.