896: It's excellent (but it makes my PC go 'clunk' occasionally).

I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:

The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open Project dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My Computer" and the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse pointer vertically over the various drives (without clicking) so that each drive is highlighted.

As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.

I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.

I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a big deal.

Vince.

13 comments
Comment actions Permalink

That's because it's trying to read to see if there is a label on the
drive. The fact that it keeps doing it I think is a result of JDK 1.4.2
and not IDEA.

I don't have a floppy, so I can't test it for you :)

R

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:

The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open Project dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My Computer" and the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse pointer vertically over the various drives (without clicking) so that each drive is highlighted.

As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.

I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.

I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a big deal.

Vince.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Vince,

If you consider this behaviour a bug, could you please post it to the Sun
bug parade, because Open project dialog is a standard
javax.swing.JFileChooser component.

--
Best regards,
Anton Katilin
-


JetBrains, Inc / IntelliJ Software
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


"Vincent O'Sullivan" <vjosullivan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:21342011.1060779356993.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:

>

The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the

main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open Project
dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My Computer" and
the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse pointer vertically over
the various drives (without clicking) so that each drive is highlighted.
>

As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.

>

I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.

>

I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a big

deal.
>

Vince.



0
Comment actions Permalink

To put some oil into the fire: no one forces you to use it.

Tom


Anton Katilin wrote:

Hi Vince,

If you consider this behaviour a bug, could you please post it to the Sun
bug parade, because Open project dialog is a standard
javax.swing.JFileChooser component.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Sure, it is much better to reinvent a wheel each time an existing one is not
perfect :)

--
Best regards,
Anton Katilin
-


JetBrains, Inc / IntelliJ Software
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

"Thomas Singer" <idea@regnis.de> wrote in message
news:bhdf32$n51$1@is.intellij.net...

To put some oil into the fire: no one forces you to use it.

>

Tom

>
>

Anton Katilin wrote:

>

Hi Vince,

>

If you consider this behaviour a bug, could you please post it to the

Sun

bug parade, because Open project dialog is a standard
javax.swing.JFileChooser component.

>

>


0
Comment actions Permalink

It is much better to reinvent a wheel, when existing ones are
rectangular and the new one round.

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Agree :) Unfortunatelly, a lot of Swing controls are square wheels, and it
would take too much time to reimplement all of them.

--
Best regards,
Anton Katilin
-


JetBrains, Inc / IntelliJ Software
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


"Thomas Singer" <idea@regnis.de> wrote in message
news:bhdgd7$q7j$1@is.intellij.net...

It is much better to reinvent a wheel, when existing ones are
rectangular and the new one round.

>

Tom

>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry to have a laugh at your expense but I did, and so did a couple of my
work colleagues.

The "clunk" you are hearing is not the fault of IDEA (or any piece of
software).
No operating system I know of exposes an API that allows the developer to
cause a "clunk".

The "clunk" is a hardware issue which is possibly your floppy or internal
hard disk which is "told to do something" by the the underlying operating
system (which the software application, in this case, IDEA, sits "on top"
of).

"Vincent O'Sullivan" <vjosullivan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:21342011.1060779356993.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:

>

The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the

main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open Project
dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My Computer" and
the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse pointer vertically over
the various drives (without clicking) so that each drive is highlighted.
>

As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.

>

I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.

>

I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a big

deal.
>

Vince.



0
Comment actions Permalink

The AWT file chooser is native on OSX and Windows. Why not use that?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry to have a laugh at your expense but I did, and
so did a couple of my
work colleagues.

The "clunk" you are hearing is not the fault of IDEA
(or any piece of
software).
No operating system I know of exposes an API that
allows the developer to
cause a "clunk".

The "clunk" is a hardware issue which is possibly
your floppy or internal
hard disk which is "told to do something" by the the
underlying operating
system (which the software application, in this case,
IDEA, sits "on top"
of).

So, your saying the 'clunk' is being caused by some hardware that is being "told to do something" by Idea via the JVM and OS? I don't think anyone thought anything else. But given that the hardware and OS is otherwise behaving correctly and does not exhibit this behaviour elsewhere then it's reasonable to assume that the problem resides in the JVM or Idea and that makes it a software issue.

Vince.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

That's because it's trying to read to see if there is a label on the
drive. The fact that it keeps doing it I think is a result of JDK 1.4.2
and not IDEA.

I don't have a floppy, so I can't test it for you :)

R

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

>> I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:
>>
>> The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the
>> main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open
>> Project dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My
>> Computer" and the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse
>> pointer vertically over the various drives (without clicking) so that
>> each drive is highlighted.
>> As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.
>>
>> I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.
>>
>> I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a
>> big deal.
>>
>> Vince.


curious :)

it does not happen to me, on a floppyful machine. I am using windows XP
SP! - maybe that jdk142 behavior depends on the underlying OS.

Edo

0
Comment actions Permalink

> it does not happen to me, on a floppyful machine. I am using windows XP

SP! - maybe that jdk142 behavior depends on the underlying OS.


It does - at least our JDK 1.4.1_02 with JPopupMenus: on Windows NT 4
the JPopupMenus are put in the main frame, on Windows 2000 they are
separate windows.

Tom


Edoardo Comar wrote:

curious :)

it does not happen to me, on a floppyful machine. I am using windows XP
SP! - maybe that jdk142 behavior depends on the underlying OS.

Edo


0
Comment actions Permalink

That's kinda neat actually. I think it's a feature. :)

"Vincent O'Sullivan" <vjosullivan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:21342011.1060779356993.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

I'm not sure it this counts as a bug, but it's certainly a feature:

>

The following action causes the PC to make a clunking sound. From the

main menu select File > Open Project to get the Open Project
dialog. Open the "Look in:" drop down menu so that the "My Computer" and
the various drives are displayed. Move the mouse pointer vertically over
the various drives (without clicking) so that each drive is highlighted.
>

As the floppy drive gains or loses the highlight it goes 'clunk'.

>

I think it has also happened on other occasions but I can't reproduce it.

>

I can post it as a bug, if desired but it's (probably) not really a big

deal.
>

Vince.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah, the could call it Positive Acoustical Confirmation.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.