exclude the classes for UI Designer from idea.jar

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from idea.jar into another, smaller jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a couple of minutes after every build-update because idea optimize the complete idea.jar archive!!!

8 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Michael Seele wrote:

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from idea.jar into another, smaller jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a couple of minutes after every build-update because idea optimize the complete idea.jar archive!!!


It was already done in the build 833 : the ui designer moved in the
plugins. You only have to add form_rt.jar in your project.
There is still a bug : the uiDesigner.Palette.xml is still in idea.jar.
But it will fixed (this doesn't means you must add this file to your
project, but only that if you want to add components to the toolbar you
must modify this xml.)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry, you are totally wrong. By taking a look into idea.jar one sees
that IDEA consists of about 10000 classes. Looking into the uiDesigner
plugin .jar files (yes, it is distributed as a plugin now) shows about 250
classes. So even if these classes were still inside idea.jar you wouldn't
notice the difference - not at startup, not from memory usage and not when
developing plugins and idea.jar is included in your classpath.

Sascha

PS: No need for triple exclamation marks.

"Michael Seele" <mseele@guh-software.de> wrote:

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from idea.jar into another, smaller

jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a couple of minutes after every build-update because idea
optimize the complete idea.jar archive!!!


0
Comment actions Permalink

i'm sorry but YOU are wrong: please start idea after updating to a new build an look what happens! i tell you what happens: all the libarys who have changed will be optimized again! what a funny coincidence that idea.jar has been changed and will be optimized! the extra jar-file for the ui-designer will not be optimized every build-update because when the development of the ui-designer has finished no changes will be done! and if this jar-file has been changed the optimizing doesn't take as long as the optimizing of the idea.jar-file take!

0
Comment actions Permalink

Well, you weren't too clear about that in your post. Sorry.

Anyway, in the last build(s) it is no longer required to include idea.jar into the
project classpath to use the GUI designer. As far as I know (just checked it),
only forms_rt.jar found in the plugins/uiDesigner/lib directory is required to run
applications using the GUI designer.

BTW: I suppose that the development of the GUI builder will continue as long as
the EAP for Aurora lasts (and probably even longer).

Sascha

"Michael Seele" <mseele@guh-software.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:7578460.1057051549416.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

i'm sorry but YOU are wrong: please start idea after updating to a new build an look what happens!

i tell you what happens: all the libarys who have changed will be optimized again! what a funny
coincidence that idea.jar has been changed and will be optimized! the extra jar-file for the
ui-designer will not be optimized every build-update because when the development of the ui-designer
has finished no changes will be done! and if this jar-file has been changed the optimizing doesn't
take as long as the optimizing of the idea.jar-file take!


0
Comment actions Permalink

Not quite :)
If you remove UIDisignerPlugin IDEA will unstable, for example, you can't
invoke Project Settings :))

But you must copy forms_rt.jar into %IDEA_HOME%, then you may remove
UIDisignerPlugin from plugins directory and IDEA will works ok.

Thanks!

--
Alexey Efimov, Software Engineer
Sputnik Labs,
http://www.spklabs.com
"Matthieu Casanova" <hoyo@free.fr> wrote in message
news:bdrfo6$g6g$1@is.intellij.net...

Michael Seele wrote:

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from

idea.jar into another, smaller jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a couple
of minutes after every build-update because idea optimize the complete
idea.jar archive!!!
>

It was already done in the build 833 : the ui designer moved in the
plugins. You only have to add form_rt.jar in your project.
There is still a bug : the uiDesigner.Palette.xml is still in idea.jar.
But it will fixed (this doesn't means you must add this file to your
project, but only that if you want to add components to the toolbar you
must modify this xml.)

>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry, forms_rt.jar must be copied to %IDEA_HOME%/lib directory.
Thats right :)

--
Alexey Efimov, Software Engineer
Sputnik Labs,
http://www.spklabs.com
"Alexey Efimov" <aefimov@spklabs.com> wrote in message
news:bds286$eks$1@is.intellij.net...

Not quite :)
If you remove UIDisignerPlugin IDEA will unstable, for example, you can't
invoke Project Settings :))

>

But you must copy forms_rt.jar into %IDEA_HOME%, then you may remove
UIDisignerPlugin from plugins directory and IDEA will works ok.

>

Thanks!

>

--
Alexey Efimov, Software Engineer
Sputnik Labs,
http://www.spklabs.com
"Matthieu Casanova" <hoyo@free.fr> wrote in message
news:bdrfo6$g6g$1@is.intellij.net...

Michael Seele wrote:

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from

idea.jar into another, smaller jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a

couple

of minutes after every build-update because idea optimize the complete
idea.jar archive!!!
>

It was already done in the build 833 : the ui designer moved in the
plugins. You only have to add form_rt.jar in your project.
There is still a bug : the uiDesigner.Palette.xml is still in idea.jar.
But it will fixed (this doesn't means you must add this file to your
project, but only that if you want to add components to the toolbar you
must modify this xml.)

>

>
>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Alexey Efimov wrote:

Not quite :)
If you remove UIDisignerPlugin IDEA will unstable, for example, you can't
invoke Project Settings :))

But you must copy forms_rt.jar into %IDEA_HOME%, then you may remove
UIDisignerPlugin from plugins directory and IDEA will works ok.


In fact I didn't tell that we could remove the UI designer plugin, but
that when using UI designer we only have to import forms_rt.jar in the
project not idea.jar so Idea will not take minutes to read the jar as it
did with previous build

0
Comment actions Permalink

Michael Seele wrote:

please exclude the classes that are need by the UI Designer from idea.jar into another, smaller jar-archive. it's so boring to wait a couple of minutes after every build-update because idea optimize the complete idea.jar archive!!!


We bundled UI Designer classes into idea.jar by mistake. This problem is
fixed in upcoming build.

Best regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
_____________________
JetBrains

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.