12 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Sent to feedback@netbeans.org :

I wanted to express my concerns about the objectivity of your IDE
Product Comparison. It looks like you collected all Netbeans features
and compared these with the features of IDEA and JBuilder. An
objective comparison would collect all features from all compared
IDEs and list them appropriate. But I can understand, that Netbeans
would not look so good in this comparison (e.g. missing Refactorings,
Code Inspections).

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hum, that kind of comparison is misleading, and questions truth in
advertising, I think JetBrains should request it be updated like you suggest
below, or be removed from their site.

R
"Thomas Singer" <thomas.singer@NOregnisSPAM.de> wrote in message
news:26bjfvcccss7p111ich1tr1urcoi4f027g@4ax.com...

Sent to feedback@netbeans.org :

>

I wanted to express my concerns about the objectivity of your IDE
Product Comparison. It looks like you collected all Netbeans features
and compared these with the features of IDEA and JBuilder. An
objective comparison would collect all features from all compared
IDEs and list them appropriate. But I can understand, that Netbeans
would not look so good in this comparison (e.g. missing Refactorings,
Code Inspections).

>

Tom



0
Comment actions Permalink


"Robert S. Sfeir" <robert@codepuccino.com> wrote in message
news:bdci36$23f$1@is.intellij.net...

Hum, that kind of comparison is misleading, and questions truth in
advertising, I think JetBrains should request it be updated like you

suggest

below, or be removed from their site.


Imho comparing real and working features from product A to product B,
while not mentioning features of product B, which absent in product A is
more honest, than proclaiming "Our product B is simply the best super duper
tool ever!".


0
Comment actions Permalink

>Imho comparing real and working features from product A to product B,
>while not mentioning features of product B, which absent in product A is
>more honest, than proclaiming "Our product B is simply the best super duper
>tool ever!".

You are right. Sure, you cannot expect Netbeans to put their a
objective comparison, but are they allowed to put any comparison? I
guess, only independent parties might do it.

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Thomas Singer" <thomas.singer@smartcvs.com> wrote in message
news:3ef9dfdc.1440581@news.intellij.net...

>Imho comparing real and working features from product A to product B,
>while not mentioning features of product B, which absent in product A is
>more honest, than proclaiming "Our product B is simply the best super

duper

>tool ever!".

>

You are right. Sure, you cannot expect Netbeans to put their a
objective comparison, but are they allowed to put any comparison? I
guess, only independent parties might do it.


Why?


0
Comment actions Permalink

Thomas Singer wrote:

Sent to feedback@netbeans.org :

I wanted to express my concerns about the objectivity of your IDE
Product Comparison. It looks like you collected all Netbeans features
and compared these with the features of IDEA and JBuilder. An
objective comparison would collect all features from all compared
IDEs and list them appropriate. But I can understand, that Netbeans
would not look so good in this comparison (e.g. missing Refactorings,
Code Inspections).


And I think that features like refactoring are nothing if you have to go
through dozen of dialogs and wizards to do anything with your IDE, this
is one of the reason why Idea is better : the features are powerful and
easy to use

0
Comment actions Permalink

>> You are right. Sure, you cannot expect Netbeans to put their a
>> objective comparison, but are they allowed to put any comparison? I
>> guess, only independent parties might do it.
>
>Why?

Because it always is a subjective point of view, no objective one. I
don't know, how it is handled in other countries, but (for this reason
?) comparing advertising is prohibited in Germany.

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

AFAIK this is not true anymore. It's only that few German advertising companies have switched to doing it. But sometimes you see comparing ads in Germany, although very rarely.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I think the section "Client/Server Technologies" is ridiculous. Surely I can use RMI, CORBA, JDBC and JNDI with IDEA. The title should be changed to "Mostly useless Wizards for Client/Server Technologies".

0
Comment actions Permalink

I tend to agree with what has been said in the posts:

NetBeans provides an comparative chart based on its own capabilities, and doesn't mention features available in IDEAs, simply because the point of this comparison chart is to say:

"Right, this is a list of features we have spent a lot of time developing, because we think they should be at the top of the priority list for our IDE. Now let us show you what competitors do in the areas we consider to be the most important."

So I have no problem with NetBeans not introducing Refactorings, AspectJ, Generics...etc

I just think the chart should be updated:

    1. Visual GUI Design: NO

=> It's fair as it's only EAP beta feature...maybe something like: "not complete yet", "beta stage"

    1. Viewing/Generating Javadoc: NO

=> That should be "YES" shouldn't it ?

    1. Has public extension APIs: NO

=> I though there was !??

    1. Can Auto-update itself: NO

=> I though there was too !?? (Never used it though,
so I'm not quite sure ;)

    1. UML Support: NO

=> Well, there could be a debate on whether available plugins are to be considered as a commercial product's features...

    1. User-configurable code templates: NO

=> IDEA definetely does better than just that.

    1. Is cross-platform (without per-platform binaries): NO

=> Really ?? Well, there are different installers for each target platform, but so does NetBeans.

Just my 2 (euro) cents.
Dan/

0
Comment actions Permalink

That's right,
comparison charts are usually quantitative evaluations,
they don't bring qualitative judjement on products...
(unfortunately)

Dan/

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Thomas Singer" <thomas.singer@NOregnisSPAM.de> wrote in message
news:lo6lfv8g1evjg993g613b4ltj9ad3ggpto@4ax.com...

>> You are right. Sure, you cannot expect Netbeans to put their a
>> objective comparison, but are they allowed to put any comparison? I
>> guess, only independent parties might do it.
>
>Why?

>

Because it always is a subjective point of view, no objective one.


Subjective is when you say that product A is better that product B just
because it is better. If you give cold facts that can be verified, that is
objective. You cannot lie, but you do not have to tell the whole truth ;)


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.