Shift-click selections have an anomalous behavior. To wit:
- Click: yields insertion point
- Shift-click: yields selection from location of first click to location of 2nd click
- Shift-click further away from 1st click: selection extends
- Shift-click on the opposite side of the 1st click: selection pivots
All these actions are as expected. Here's the problematic one:
- Shift click within existing selection: yields an insertion point!
In fact, there is a transient state when the selection boundary moves to the point of the shift click, but it is then immediately replaced with a insertion point at the location of the shift-click.
This does not seem like useful behavior nor is it consistent with the other shift click behaviors.