For one reason or another, my company uses Perforce as its VCS.
IDEA has support for CVS and StarTeam, but not Perforce. (For those who
don't know, the "Perforce integration" built into IDEA is not a VCS plugin,
so IDEA can't automatically call it to check out files, rename classes, move
classes between packages, etc.)
There is a Perforce plugin, but it doesn't do much yet. (I'm not
complaining; I know I could fix it myself, but I don't have the time to do
There is a request in the tracker for better support:
Its priority is marked as "high", but it's not planned for any version.
So I'm wondering if anything can be done to get Perforce support sooner.
Here are some of my ideas:
1. Beg IntelliJ relentlessly until they give in and release a Perforce
plugin for free :)
2. Count the number of people who would be willing to pay for such a plugin
and the amount of money they'd be willing to pay. (We have 7 developers and
I bet my boss would pay $100 per user.) Try to convice IntelliJ to release
the plugin as a separate product.
3. The same as #2, but try to convince Perforce (the company) to write the
plugin for money.
4. The same as #2, but try to convince some third party to write the plugin
for money. Are people allowed to charge money for plugins? If so, is anyone
5. Gather together a group of people who are willing to work on the plugin
in their spare time or during work hours. (Finding volunteers who will
actually have enough free time to work on it might be tough, especially
since the plugin will be bridging two non-free, non-open source products.
And getting bosses to let developers write such a plugin during work hours
and give it away might be tough too.)
Anyone care to comment?