Pinned tool-windows not staying put

I wrote about this a while ago, but it just bugged me again today. Others
tried to convince me this wasn't a bug, but I'm more convinced than ever
that it is...

I have a "Find in Path" tool window pinned in place. I right-click on a
file in this display that is read-only, and select "Perforce -> Edit". This
runs the "p4 edit" command which causes a command window to pop up. This
window is NOT pinned. When I dismiss it, what I want and expect to happen
is that the "Find in Path" window will be right where it was ("behind" the
run window, pinned in place). However, this is not the case. The Find
window disapepars, necessitating that I recall it. This is VERY annoying.
It's almost exactly like having the window un-pinned in this case, since
it's going away every time I need it not to.

Is there a reason why when the run window goes away, the Find window doesn't
remain (or at least return)?


6 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

I wrote about this a while ago, but it just bugged me again today. Others
tried to convince me this wasn't a bug, but I'm more convinced than ever
that it is...


Perhaps I'll be more convincing this time. ;)

I have a "Find in Path" tool window pinned in place. I right-click on a
file in this display that is read-only, and select "Perforce -> Edit". This
runs the "p4 edit" command which causes a command window to pop up. This
window is NOT pinned. When I dismiss it, what I want and expect to happen
is that the "Find in Path" window will be right where it was ("behind" the
run window, pinned in place). However, this is not the case. The Find
window disapepars, necessitating that I recall it. This is VERY annoying.
It's almost exactly like having the window un-pinned in this case, since
it's going away every time I need it not to.

Is there a reason why when the run window goes away, the Find window doesn't
remain (or at least return)?


I'm assuming you're using the Escape key to dismiss the toolwindow. The
Escape key does not dismiss the toolwindow, it just moves the keyboard
focus back to the editor. Whether the toolwindow disappears depends on
it's pinned state. Your Perforce toolwindow is not pinned therefore it
disappears when you press Escape because it has lost focus -- unpinned
toolwindows disappear when they lose focus.

However, your Find toolwindow is not reappearing probably because both
your Find toolwindow and your Perforce toolwindow were docked. There
can be only one docked window visible at a time. So when a second
docked window is activated (in this case your Perforce toolwindow), the
first one (your Find toolwindow) is minimised. So when you press Escape
from the Perforce toolwindow, it closes because it has lost focus and
there are no more toolwindows visible because your Find window was
minimised when the Perforce window opened.

The solution is to use Shift-Escape to minimise the Perforce toolwindow,
which would put the focus in the previously focused toolwindow. I tried
this with a similar setup to yours and it worked.

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler
Software Developer, R&D
Sitraka (now part of Quest Software)
"Performance is Mission Critical"

0
Comment actions Permalink

No I'm not using the escape key... I'm simply clicking on the editor with my
mouse. Which is just moving the focus back to the editor. Which SHOULD
dismiss the run window and LEAVE THE FIND WINDOW because I pinned the darn
thing in place!

The ONLY way I've found to make it work is to click on the 'Find' button
along teh bottom to bring that window back up to the top while
simultaneously dismissing the run window.

The point is, why should I be forced to hit Shift-Esc (something utterly
unintuitive), when simply clicking on the editor window (or hitting escape)
SHOULD do the right thing? What's the point of pinning a window in place if
it won't stay there?

This is, imho, a problem. A bug. A deficiency. It's not working correctly
or intuitively in any way. And it's annoying as hell! :)

So no, you're not convincing me at all. :)


"Gordon Tyler" <gordon.tyler@sitraka.com> wrote in message
news:at2j2m$3ki$1@is.intellij.net...

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

I wrote about this a while ago, but it just bugged me again today.

Others

tried to convince me this wasn't a bug, but I'm more convinced than ever
that it is...

>

Perhaps I'll be more convincing this time. ;)

>

I have a "Find in Path" tool window pinned in place. I right-click on a
file in this display that is read-only, and select "Perforce -> Edit".

This

runs the "p4 edit" command which causes a command window to pop up.

This

window is NOT pinned. When I dismiss it, what I want and expect to

happen

is that the "Find in Path" window will be right where it was ("behind"

the

run window, pinned in place). However, this is not the case. The Find
window disapepars, necessitating that I recall it. This is VERY

annoying.

It's almost exactly like having the window un-pinned in this case, since
it's going away every time I need it not to.

>

Is there a reason why when the run window goes away, the Find window

doesn't

remain (or at least return)?

>

I'm assuming you're using the Escape key to dismiss the toolwindow. The
Escape key does not dismiss the toolwindow, it just moves the keyboard
focus back to the editor. Whether the toolwindow disappears depends on
it's pinned state. Your Perforce toolwindow is not pinned therefore it
disappears when you press Escape because it has lost focus -- unpinned
toolwindows disappear when they lose focus.

>

However, your Find toolwindow is not reappearing probably because both
your Find toolwindow and your Perforce toolwindow were docked. There
can be only one docked window visible at a time. So when a second
docked window is activated (in this case your Perforce toolwindow), the
first one (your Find toolwindow) is minimised. So when you press Escape
from the Perforce toolwindow, it closes because it has lost focus and
there are no more toolwindows visible because your Find window was
minimised when the Perforce window opened.

>

The solution is to use Shift-Escape to minimise the Perforce toolwindow,
which would put the focus in the previously focused toolwindow. I tried
this with a similar setup to yours and it worked.

>

Ciao,
Gordon

>

--
Gordon Tyler
Software Developer, R&D
Sitraka (now part of Quest Software)
"Performance is Mission Critical"

>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

No I'm not using the escape key... I'm simply clicking on the editor with my
mouse. Which is just moving the focus back to the editor. Which SHOULD
dismiss the run window and LEAVE THE FIND WINDOW because I pinned the darn
thing in place!


Pinning only determines whether the window minimises when it loses focus.

The point is, why should I be forced to hit Shift-Esc (something utterly
unintuitive), when simply clicking on the editor window (or hitting escape)
SHOULD do the right thing? What's the point of pinning a window in place if
it won't stay there?


Toolwindows have the concept of "docking". Only one docked window _per
side_ can be visible ("unminimised" you could say) at a time. So because
both your Find window and Perforce window are docked on the bottom (I
assume), when the Perforce window is activated, the Find window
minimises. When you click in the Editor, the Perforce window disappears
because it was an unpinned window.

What I'm trying to say is that the behaviour is exactly the way the
developers intended it to be.

This is, imho, a problem. A bug. A deficiency. It's not working correctly
or intuitively in any way. And it's annoying as hell! :)


Can I suggest that you undock your Perforce window? That means when it
appears, it will appear over your Find window and when you click in
the Editor, the Perforce window will disappear leaving the Find window
still visible. I just tried this and it works.

So no, you're not convincing me at all. :)


How's this try? ;)

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler
Software Developer, R&D
Sitraka (now part of Quest Software)
"Performance is Mission Critical"

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Gordon Tyler" <gordon.tyler@sitraka.com> wrote in message
news:at36b0$2id$1@is.intellij.net...

What I'm trying to say is that the behaviour is exactly the way the
developers intended it to be.


Yes, and what I'm saying is that this behavior makes no sense in the real
world, is annoying, and isn't the "right thing", and I wish it would be
changed :)

Can I suggest that you undock your Perforce window? That means when it
appears, it will appear over your Find window and when you click in
the Editor, the Perforce window will disappear leaving the Find window
still visible. I just tried this and it works.


It's not a perforce window... it's just a generic 'run' window. One
solution would be if it didn't pop up at all. I really don't care that an
external tool ran. But that's just a specific solution to a specific
problem... that problem being that when I pin a docked tool window in place,
I want it to bloody well stay docked and visible!

You've convinced me only that it works the way they think it should work...
not that it SHOULD work that way. It still makes no sense to me from a
functional point of view (even if I understand the 'programming' reason
behind it). My perception of what should happen is that if another tool
window pops up, it should pop up OVER the pinned window, and then disappear,
leaving the pinned window in palce. THAT would make sense. Since the
window popping up isn't pinned, it shouldn't make the pinned window go away.

I pin a window because I want it to STAY THERE. A pinned window shouldn't
go away until I tell it to. A "pinned" window shouldn't mean "Oh, I'll hang
around a little longer than normal, but I'll go away unexpectedly if I
should decide conditions warrent it" :)

The tool window popping up to begin with is another issue. In this specific
case, I really don't want it popping up at all. It just tells me "Yeah, I
did that", in effect. I've decided to fix this by editing the external
tools setup to remove the 'open console' checkbox. This is a better
solution to this specific case, but doesn't at all solve the general issue
(of, say, popping up one of the other windows for some reason, or running an
external tool where I DO want to see the output before returning to my
pinned window).

Am I making my case at all? :)

- Paul


0
Comment actions Permalink

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

Am I making my case at all? :)


Hmm... I can see your point.

I just tried something which has an interesting effect: In
Options->Keymap, I changed Main Menu->Window->Hide Active Window to use
Escape but leaving Escape still assigned to Editor->Escape as well. So
Escape is now associated with both actions.

This seems to do what you want. Pressing Escape while the focus is in a
toolwindow hides it and moves the focus to the last active toolwindow.
Pressing Escape again dismisses that toolwindow and puts me back in the
editor. Pressing Escape in the editor still does the appropriate thing
like clear the selection, dismiss the intention popup, etc.

How does that work for you?

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler
Software Developer, R&D
Sitraka (now part of Quest Software)
"Performance is Mission Critical"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Well, that fixes the case with the keyboard, which is definitely welcome...
but still doesn't fix the mouse-click case. Ah well, things are improving
bit by bit ;)


"Gordon Tyler" <gordon.tyler@sitraka.com> wrote in message
news:at5456$b96$1@is.intellij.net...

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

Am I making my case at all? :)

>

Hmm... I can see your point.

>

I just tried something which has an interesting effect: In
Options->Keymap, I changed Main Menu->Window->Hide Active Window to use
Escape but leaving Escape still assigned to Editor->Escape as well. So
Escape is now associated with both actions.

>

This seems to do what you want. Pressing Escape while the focus is in a
toolwindow hides it and moves the focus to the last active toolwindow.
Pressing Escape again dismisses that toolwindow and puts me back in the
editor. Pressing Escape in the editor still does the appropriate thing
like clear the selection, dismiss the intention popup, etc.

>

How does that work for you?

>

Ciao,
Gordon

>

--
Gordon Tyler
Software Developer, R&D
Sitraka (now part of Quest Software)
"Performance is Mission Critical"

>


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.