I'm new to PHPStorm, but have been doing remote PHP debugging for years with xdebug. The instructions I've found so far don't seem to cover my case.
Here's what I do with Komodo:
- I install xdebug.so on the remote instance of apache. I configure PHP to use localhost:9000 with dbgp as the protocol.
- I open the project, which has the same sources as the server.
- I make Komodo listen on some port (say, 9999) for debugging connections.
- I open an SSH connection from my work machine to the remote server using a reverse proxy (ssh -R 9000:localhost:9999 firstname.lastname@example.org)
- I either browse to the web page I want to debug using XDEBUG_SESSION_START=1 in the query string, or if I want to debug a PHP script, I start up the script with XDEBUG_CONFIG="remote_port=9000 remote_enable=1" in the environment.
- After a brief pause, Komodo puts up a dialog indicating there's in incoming connection, and how I want to map the remote sources to the sources on my laptop.
This was also how I did things with the old Zend IDE, some years back.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to get PHPStorm to work this way. I assume it can. But the wizard isn't asking me for the right stuff thus far.
How do I do this?