Javadoc reformatting

I used to use the feature almost daily in IDEA 4.5 where I would reformat javadoc blocks so that they are re-wordwrapped and re-aligned and re-spaced for the javadoc block only, but it doesn't work in IDEA 5.

To do this I would highlight the javadoc block and pick to reformat code.

Ever since IDEA 5.0 you had to select the entire block of code that the javadoc applies to do get it to reformat the javadoc. This means you must highlight the ENTIRE method to reformat a method javadoc, or highlight the ENTIRE class to reformat a class javadoc. I've submitted this bug into JIRA and also e-mailed support about it several times and now 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 don't have it and I just downloaded the EAP today and it doesn't have it either.

Sometimes, for various reasons I don't want to reformat the entire file. Part of this is political b/c I can't change part of a file, and part of it is logistical because all changed lines of code have to go through a code examination process, and even though the changes are trivial, you now have tens or a hundred or more lines highlighed as change to scroll through to verify changes.

I shouldn't have to reformat an entire file just to rewrap some javadoc. I've tried the AutoFormat plugin some time back but it just didn't do what I wanted and certainly didn't follow the IDEA code style. Right now my only workaround is to either wordwrap by hand or just tolerate a complete file reformat. What can I do? Am I the only one who cares about this?

2 comments

Hello Jason,

JW> I used to use the feature almost daily in IDEA 4.5 where I would
JW> reformat javadoc blocks so that they are re-wordwrapped and
JW> re-aligned and re-spaced for the javadoc block only, but it doesn't
JW> work in IDEA 5.

This is a known bug. You can watch this to get notified when the problem
is resolved:
http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-2541

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Software Developer
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


0

Yes, I know that -- I submitted that and it got moved into the "real" JIRA long time back. I did this all shortly after IDEA 5 came out (if not submitting the bug, but at least in contacting IDEA support). So now 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 are out and in 5.1 there is no fix yet. I guess since this is still known by the developers that I didn't need remention it but I suppose I have been spoiled as all of the other bugs I have either submitted/watched/cared about in the past have been fixed so quickly back in the Aurora EAP days.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.