I'm having some troubles with xdebug in the last time ...
I have a local setup like following:
* Installed php54, php55 and php56 on a mac via homebrew
* Installed the extension for php5*-xdebug for all of them
* Configured xdebug like following:
zend_extension=<path to .so file>
* Installed version of xdebug is 2.2.5 for all php-versions
* Registered each of these installations in PhpStorm as PHP interpreters (all correctly recognized, including xdebug version)
* Registered a PHP server for 127.0.0.1 and validated the xdebug configuration (works)
My PhpUnit also is installed by homebrew (shouldn't really make any difference at all, but just to have that mentioned). I use 4.2.0 in combination with the latest EAP and 3.7.30 for the last stable version of PhpStorm.
Whatever combination I take (PhpStorm 7.1.3 - phpUnit 3.7.30 or PhpStorm EAP - phpUnit 4.2.0), when running the debugger for unit-tests, I always get the response, that the connection could not be established.
When clicking on "Validate installation", I just get "'xdebug' extension is installed. Check configuration options."
Here's the configuration shown when clicking on "Show phpinfo":
PHP version: 5.6.0
apc, apcu, bcmath, bz2, calendar, Core, couchbase, ctype, curl, date, dba, dom, ereg, exif, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gettext, hash, iconv, imagick, intl, json, ldap, libxml, mbstring, mcrypt, memcache, memcached, mhash, mysql, mysqli, mysqlnd, odbc, openssl, pcntl, pcre, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, pdo_sqlite, Phar, posix, readline, Reflection, session, shmop, SimpleXML, snmp, soap, sockets, SPL, sqlite3, standard, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, tokenizer, wddx, xdebug, xml, xmlreader, xmlrpc, xmlwriter, xsl, zip, zlib