Someone posted a mail via support forms with the following e-mail
address: Please Put In Forums <firstname.lastname@example.org>. So I can't
reply directly and posting it here in case he/she reads this group/forum.
From: "Please Put In Forums" <email@example.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004, 4:35:31 PM
Subject: really slow - moving to eclipse
We have a project with 5500 classes. On a fast PC, it takes Idea 3.0 about 7 minutes to start up. What is it doing?
Then, once it is up, when we switch to Idea from using another application, Idea make disk accesses for a couple of minutes locking up the PC. What is it doing?
We have dozens of Idea licenses, but have to switch to Eclipse because it does not have these problems.
I cannot provide my company's identity for competitive reasons.
OS: Windows NT/2000
JDK: JDK 1.4.2
It is not a normal IDEA behavior. It seems that there is something
wrong with your system or IDEA configuration.
Check the following:
1. Make sure that IDEA caches (USER_HOME\.IntelliJIdea\system) are on
the local drive.
2. Make sure that the project and JDK are residing on the local
3. Disable Settings | General | Synchronize files on frame activation.
4. Play with the heap size setting:
5. Reset IDEA caches by deleting USER_HOME\.IntelliJIdea\system
6. Perform drive defragmentation.
7. Disable Local VCS.
"Develop with pleasure!"