Became really slow a few days ago on Kubuntu


I've been using PhpStorm for about 8 months now, and I really enjoy it every day.
I'm on Kubuntu, I must say it was a bit slow but since natty, I can't say why, it became lightning-fast and it was great.
But a few days ago, maybe 2 weeks, PhpStorm became awfully slow, barely unusable. I'm still launching it from sun jvm (not open-jdk), and load average of my machine is like 0.03. I've tried everything, I can't speed it up. It's mostly when the editor scrolls (page-up/down), it seems that it swaps the whole project and takes about 5 seconds to perform the scroll (whereas I have 8GB RAM to mount the whole project and avoid swap).

As far as I can say, there are no disk access, no heavy process... Just really slow.

Have you ever experienced such problem ? Any idea about it ?

Thanks, I *don't want* to go back to vim.

Comment actions Permalink

Please always start with your IDE build.


Are all files on the local HDD?
Source control used? Try temporarily disabling integration.
Try File | Invalidate caches

Comment actions Permalink

Hey Alexey

I'm on 2.1.5 (PhpStorm-107.581), the last release I guess.

I followed each step on the link you provided, with no success. And yes, everything is on local hard drives.

But with your last advice, invalidating the cache, I had a slight improvement. It's still not as fast as it used to be, but it's better.


Comment actions Permalink

Well, If you follow instruction entirelly expect to have an issue with proper CPU profiling snapshots for further investigation. Otherwise we can't help.

One more advice: try 3.0 EAP (back up your settings first).
Also disabling 3rd party plugins (if any) may help.

Comment actions Permalink


today, after a system reboot (of course I tried that many times before), PhpStorm became perfectly fast again. I'm guessing it's a system or hardware issue.

Anyway, thank you for your time.


Please sign in to leave a comment.