After OS X Java update, IntelliJ 8.1.3 won't start

I've tried changing the JVMVersion key in info.plist from 1.6* to 1.5*, but intelliJ dock icon just bounces up once and quits.  This is what I see in my console log, any clues?  I need to get back to work!!


6/23/09 11:20:49 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.jetbrains.intellij[587] [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
6/23/09 11:20:49 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.jetbrains.intellij[587] [JavaAppLauncher Error] This process is [i386] and was re-exec'd from [i386], but for some reason we are trying re-exec to [].
6/23/09 11:20:49 PM [0x0-0x60060].com.jetbrains.intellij[587] [JavaAppLauncher Error] unable to find a version of Java to launch
6/23/09 11:20:49 PM com.apple.launchd[142] ([0x0-0x60060].com.jetbrains.intellij[587]) Exited with exit code: 1



 



after switch JVMVersion to 1.5* this is what I see:

6/23/09 11:28:34 PM [0x0-0x64064].com.jetbrains.intellij[606] [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
6/23/09 11:28:34 PM [0x0-0x64064].com.jetbrains.intellij[606] [JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32-bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
6/23/09 11:28:34 PM [0x0-0x64064].com.jetbrains.intellij[606] [JavaAppLauncher Error] This process is [i386] and was re-exec'd from [i386], but for some reason we are trying re-exec to [].



8 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for the quick response Leszek.  I actually JUST got it to work by downloading the complete 8.1.3 intellij and running it from scratch.  I just modified the heap sizes in info.plist, but otherwise kept everything as default.  I left the JVMVersion as 1.5*, I'll try changing to 1.6* at the next reload.  Maybe then I'll need your workaround..  Thanks again.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Try also 1.6 not 1.6*

It works for me. For better performence you should give IDEA more memory if you want to use 64-bit VM. I have 4GB in my MacBook and this in the Info.plist:

-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=800m


 


And it is really fast.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have lots of little issues with IntelliJ now that I've had to revert to java 1.5 after Apple's latest java update.  I can only update or commit to SVN once or twice before nothing happens when choosing those options.  So I have to quit and reload IntelliJ.  Now I can't commit at all, I keep getting a vague error.  1.6 or 1.6* doesn't work at all.  So I'm guessing IntelliJ just doesn't work well with 1.5?

What's the status of IntelliJ on the mac?  I'm wasting a lot of time dealing with IntelliJ issues rather than issues with my code!

0
Comment actions Permalink

I am having the same problem, no response?  Seems like others are as well.

0
Comment actions Permalink

A lot of people are having problems since the last Apple Java update.
This is hint (but not reallly a proof...) that the problem is on Apple side.

Anyway, the strange thing is different people see different issues.
For me, subversion works just fine and Idea does not crash.
The only problem I have is that some menu entries (always the same, e.g. "Dataflow to this" or Analyse stacktrace", what's special with these I have no idea...) kind of deactivate themselves after a while, but this became a minor annoyance when I learned about the SHIFT+CMD+a shortcut.

0
Comment actions Permalink

The only problem I had after that latest update was IntelliJ not starting, the solution can be found in the forum link in a previous post here.

Beyond that I haven't had any other problems with IntelliJ 8.x on my Mac under 1.5 or 1.6. Do you have any non-bundled plugin installed that may be causing the issues?

I had a long-standing issue with Navigation History in IntelliJ (since build 9013), just last week it was finally figured out that it was the IdeaVIM plugin. So it may just be a plugin causing your issues.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I do have this problem with menu entries deactivating themselves after a while (a colleague has this problem as well). Could not find a specific scenario to reliably reproduce this though most of the time it seems to happen in connection with version control commit/update.

I did reinstall IDEA 8.1.3 from a fresh download, that did not solve the problem. The only non-standard plugins activated are Scala, hg4idea and TabSwitch. This happens on both of my machines, both have MacOS X 10.5.7 with the latest Java Update installed. Quite annoying...

Regards,
Wolfram.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.