Datagrip won't start on OSX

Completed

When I try to start DataGrip 2017.3
, the loading screen opens and the progress bar fills, then it just disappears and the app does not load.

23 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I forgot to mention what happened before this problem started. I was copying data from a mySql db into a Postgres db. I tried insert statements, not realizing that the file size was 2GB. DataGrip would not allow me to run it. I switched to csv, and ran the import. DataGrip started showing error messages about not being able to save settings. I shut it down, and can't open it again. I've rebooted, and reinstalled. Still the same.

1
Comment actions Permalink

I am disappointed that it's been a week since I've heard anything. I decided to completely remove all settings and reinstall.

As I was looking for a way to save my connection settings, I ran across the disabled_plugins.txt file. Out of curiosity, I looked at the file. The only entry was com.intellij.database. I removed that, and DataGrip is working now.

I strongly believe that DataGrip should provide some sort of message, instead of just crashing. I also feel that if this situation is possible, it should be a basic troubleshooting step.

1
Comment actions Permalink

Hi, Keith! Sorry for the delay, we were trying to detect the cause of the problem, because it is totally not trivial. Thanks your for your last comment. It actually means that the whole DB-functionality was mutes due to the critical error. We have found no information in the log file, and we still need to do two things:

- To understand why it crashed.

- To avoid the situation of silent disabling.

We will do this, for sure. Since now your DataGrip is working again, I hope there is no need for urgent activities. Sorry again for the inconvenience. As a reporter of an important problem, you can get a free 1-year subscription (or prolongation) for DataGrip. If you wish to apply, please, write to maxim.sobolevskiy@jetbrains.com 

1
Comment actions Permalink

Log file uploaded as idea.log.kwr.zip. I can't find any vmpotions file for DataGrip other than the one in the bin folder.

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Keith Rains Could you provide IDE logs?

0
Comment actions Permalink

@vasily chernov The log file was uploaded as idea.log.kwr.zip. There are errors in it at the time the problem started, but the stack traces mean nothing to me.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Keith, where did you upload logs?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Through the web form. This page wouldn't allow me to upload anything other than an image.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Could you please send full zipped IDE logs folder to maxim.sobolevskiy@jetbrains.com for further investication?

0
Comment actions Permalink

We've got the logs and thread dumps, thanks!

0
Comment actions Permalink

I would guess that it was a memory issue, so it all started after I opened that giant script file. Also, I searched the web for people experiencing similar issues. While none of them applied to my situation, they were all related to memory issues.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Now in DataGrip the database plugin (which is actually the body of DataGrip itself) cannot be placed into disabled plugins automatically. It should prevent these kinds of situations when DataGrip just cannot be run.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello,

 the same problem for me. I run macOS Sierra v. 10.12.6.
 Also, I have Rubymine 2017.2 running.

 The 1st start of Datagrip was ok; I just had problems connecting to remote DB with SSL.  After that, when I start - progress bar fills, then it just disappears. I tried to delete it from Applications/ and reinstall; does not help.

 Does it save data somewhere else? Or run logs? I didnt find.

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Anar why so old version?

0
Comment actions Permalink

@maxim ,  sierra version?  do you think datagrip crash can be because of that?  Plz, where can I check logs?

and rubymine -  I just updated to 2017.3.3 ;  same problem with datagrip exists.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Logs can be found in Help -> Show logs in Finder. Please, send them to me if it's possbile

0
Comment actions Permalink

do you mean ~/Library/Logs in Console ?

here it is (I can not attach file here; so I copy-paste contents):

 

 

 

***DELETED*** 

0
Comment actions Permalink

@ Anar Guliyev 
You need to remove all contents in disabled_plugins file and restart IDE. This issue was fixed https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DBE-5378

0
Comment actions Permalink

thank you @vasily

where should be this disabled_plugins file?  Also, https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DBE-5378 mentions config/projects which I also can not find. They are not in ~/ dir.  And I did try removing  Applications/DataGrip.app  and reinstalling it.

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Anar Guliyev

~/Library/Preferences/<PRODUCT><VERSION>


Check it out https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206544519

for more details.

0
Comment actions Permalink

thanks, it was in 

~/Library/Preferences/DataGrip2017.3/disabled_plugins.txt

cleared, not it works.  It is a bug

0
Comment actions Permalink

Just run into the same issue after an update to 2018.2. join OSX. Deleting disabled_plugins.txt fixed it

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.