Memory leak

I am running IDEA ULTIMATE 2018.1.1 and when I open any file the IDE tries to start several background processes "Angular Service..." and rapidly consumes memory until all available RAM is consumed. I have 32GB on my machine. Also it consumes very high cpu during this process as well. Any ideas what I can do to resolve this problem?

15 comments
Comment actions Permalink

what Node.js interpreter is chosen in File | Settings | Languages & Frameworks | TypeScript? Please attach a screenshot of this page

0
Comment actions Permalink

I am running nodejs version 8.9.4

0
Comment actions Permalink

Please can you try enabling debug logging for #com.intellij.lang.javascript.service.JSLanguageServiceQueue:trace ( Help | Debug log settings), recreate the issue and provide the idea.log.* files?

Please don't paste logs here, upload them to some file server and provide a link

0
Comment actions Permalink

I tried uploading files to your ftp site but it's not letting me.

c:\TEMP\intellij-debugging>ftp ftp.intellij.net
Connected to ftp.intellij.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
200 UTF8 set to on
User (ftp.intellij.net:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
Password:
230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I
ftp> put sdurr_idealog.zip
200 PORT command successful
550 sdurr_idealog.zip: Operation not permitted
ftp>

I also tried using your https service, but that is also not working:

0
Comment actions Permalink

You should have used .uploads folder for uploading:

C:\downloads>ftp ftp.intellij.net
Connected to ftp.intellij.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
User (ftp.intellij.net:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
Password:
230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
ftp> cd .uploads
250 CWD command successful
ftp> put untitled222.zip
200 PORT command successful

0
Comment actions Permalink

c:\TEMP\intellij-debugging>ftp ftp.intellij.net
Connected to ftp.intellij.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
200 UTF8 set to on
User (ftp.intellij.net:(none)): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
Password:
230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
ftp> cd .uploads
550 .uploads: No such file or directory
ftp>

0
Comment actions Permalink

it might be blocked on your system. Try uploading to a different server then

0
Comment actions Permalink

My security admin helped me get the files uploaded using your https service.

IU-181.4445.78_sdurr_19.04.2018_08.21.10.zip is a memory snapshot

sdurr_idealog.zip is the idea.log files

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks:) Similar issue is tracked as https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-32313, please follow it for updates

0
Comment actions Permalink

Any update?

Should I try un-installing and re-install a previous version that doesn't have the memory leak?

I need to use my IDE for work.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Can you check if changing TypeScript version to 2.7.x makes things any better?

We are still unsure what's causing the issue and have been unable to recreate it, so I can't offer any workarounds

0
Comment actions Permalink

Would it help to have a go-to-meeting with one of your engineers and I could give her control of my machine to see the behavior?

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have uninstalled 2018.1.1 and installed 2017.3

2017.3 seems to be working fine, I don't see the memory leak problem anymore.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Go the same issue two days ago, all of a sudden. PHPStorm 2019.3 installed via snap on Ubuntu, was working fine before.

Downgraded to 2019.2 and then to 2019.1, without any effect.

I got the idea to completely uninstall it (just keeping my preferences) and instead download the standalone version, which I remembered, has a console running in the terminal.

I spotted the issue quickly : logs were flooded by errors. The issue was coming from one specific project. I don't know why, PHPStorm was considering that my project had a git subrepo and was unable to find the files in it. And it was looping on it, over and over, until all the memory was exhausted. It was not related at all to memory allocation or faulty plugins.

Hope it helped.

1

Please sign in to leave a comment.