breakpoints in controller will not work for rails 5.2


Hi !

I am trying to understand why breakpoints in a view will work, but not in the controller. Breakpoints used to work for me in the controller on another machine, but not now.

Update: the issue is only in rails 5.2, after a clean install of rubymine, on a default rails project


I am using rubymine 2018.1 on ubuntu 16.04 mint desktop , and before this happened I had changed the break point options because I was having issues with selenium gem getting stuck during debugging. Hopefully, I just made a mistake with the options, but I cannot figure out what I did 

I turned on verbose debugger output. And included screenshots below of the options and breakpoints. The idea log is at  and the console log with verbose breakpoint info is at  

After I realized I had an issue. I made a sample project to test breakpoints in. I made a new gemset, and installed the debugger gem fresh. This project is running rails 5.2 without any extra gems added, and I am using  ruby 2.5.1p57 (2018-03-29 revision 63029) [x86_64-linux]

 The console log shows that the controller breakpoints are being noticed but not activated when I run  the controller in a browser. The only break point that is working is in the view


 the options are set as shown in the screenshots attached

and the breakpoints that are being ignored are shown here


After experimenting with different rails versions and ruby versions, I found that this is only an issue if I use rails 5.2.  Breakpoints work fully if I drop down to rails 5.1.6. But I am not sure if this is a debase 0.2.2 issue with rails 5.2


I am experiencing exactly the same issue.


This problem is documented here:

There's also a workaround specified: comment bootsnap requiring in the Gemfile and in the boot.rb


Please sign in to leave a comment.