Xdebug for Debian9 remote Server Follow
Creating this post because I have exhausted all resources.
I have a IntelliJ Ultimate installation, with the php plugins (these are two: "PHP version 182.4892.16" Vendor JetBrains
another plugin called "PHP latest version 0.4 Vendor Artem Khvastunov)
I have a virtual machine running debian9 (stretch), with apache version 2.4.25 and php 7.0.33-0+deb9ul (cli)
My workstation running IntelliJ Ultimate and the debian VM are both on the same network (192.168.1.0/24).
I am a little bit lost on *what* do I have to put into the php.ini on my server.
I did install xdebug in the server via: apt-get install php-xdebug.
On a phpinfo() page, I do have listed the Xdeb v2.5.0.
On that page, on the "Apache Environment" section, there is:
I also have a section in that page titled "xdebug", and it has:
IDE Key PHPSTORM
Now I am lost.
What happens next?
When I run a php page (say, main.php)... what happens?
Do I have to enter into php.ini the IP address of my workstation?
Or should I go about it with the FireFox extension "Xdebug helper - by BrianGilbert_" ??
Thank you in advace.
Please sign in to leave a comment.
The most common step next would be setting up your php.ini so that
xdebug.remote_hostwas an address the VM could access your workstation. Please also don't forget to set
yes, I would recommend that, although I usually go with the
Debug this pagebookmarklet.
Please check this guide, it has answers to all your questions and more: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/phpstorm/debugging-with-phpstorm-ultimate-guide.html
Please also note that the Xdebug remote log is extremely helpful in troubleshooting debugging.
Thank you Eugene Morozov!
I am going to try this and report back.
Ok, I believe everything should be working.
In php.ini, I have:
The ip address is my current machine's address, and the "server" (which is running php) is 192.168.10.143.
I can ping from one machine to the other just fine.
I opened up a phpinfo(); page, and under the "xdebug" section, it does state:
IDE Key PHPSTORM
These two values were automatically populated by the system.
So I *imagine* the "PHPSTORM" was reported back by my IntelliJ Ultimate edition.
The code is not hitting my breakpoints in the application.
If I set a simple page with "echo 'mark10';" and put a breakpoint on that line... I never get a hit.
Am I missing something?
Ok, I started almost from zero the entire configuration.
I am "stuck" on this step, Section: Web server debugging (here is the parent link).
Once I have all the configuration ready, in IntelliJ Ultimate, I go to Run --> Web Server Debug Validation
A new window opens, where I select "Remote Web Server".
Screenshot is attached below.
The "Deployment server" is the same on selected/created as "Remote Host" for the project (and where I set the php.ini with the Xdebug settings).
The problem is the "Path to create a validation script:".
If I set it to " / ", I get the message: Please, configure remote path mapping for the validation directory.
If I set it to either " /var/www/html " OR TO " /var/www/html/app ", I get the message: Path to the validation directory is invalid.
Am I missing something?
(Note, I have apache set to have as Document Root: /var/www/html/app)
All help is greatly appreciated!
In fact, this is local address -- you could easily check this by clicking "..." button.
Hope it helps!
Thank you for the help Vasiliy Yur!
I saw that if I click on the elipsis "...", I do get the "file directory browser" for my *local* machine.
So I then selected a local directory, yet I am still getting a message:
"Please, configure remote path mapping for the validation directory."
Ok, getting some good progress.
I entered the "Remote Host" configuration.
Created a new mapping --> set a new directory in my local machine, then set the "/var/www/html/app" directory on the development server.
NOTE: In my apache config, the "server root" is /var/www/html/app .
Now I am getting the screenshot below.
I believe the Information-Message is from the xdebug config on the server side.
Will update shortly...
I believe the message is telling me to change the xdebug.remote_host on the php.ini *in the server*.
Yet I do have it set like that.
I had a typo in php.ini
Fixed, and now IntelliJ Ultimate is happy.
Onwards to the next speed-bump!
And now it's working!
If I go to FireFox, I enable the Xdebug helper extension
Then, head on over to IntelliJ Ultimate, and enable the "Start Listening for PHP Debug Connections"
Then set a breakpoint in the middle of the code:
We then reload the page, and IntelliJ stops the execution on the breakpoint!
Thanks to everyone!!