I have used AppCode for the past 18 months or so, and think the “vision” for what AppCode could be is superb. The execution, however, has become increasingly abysmal (to me, at least, and for my use cases). I pop open AppCode wanting to do some work, and then wait up to 5 minutes while AppCode launches, indexes, updates symbols, seems to index some more, builds module maps, etc.
After all of the waiting, “indexing” and “pre-processing” I expect AppCode to resolve symbols almost instantly. I mean, it's spent the past 5 minutes build indexes (on an iMac with 32GB RAM and 6 cores). How can it not have built enough indexes to do everything really quickly. But, alas. Symbol resolution has been become increasingly slow as the past 18 months have gone by.
Then, to add insult to injury, after the slightest tickle / code change, AppCode starts rebuilding indexes, module maps, etc. etc., ad nauseam.
In total frustration, a few days ago I decided to switch back to Xcode 11.1 as my primary Swift IDE. What a breath of fresh air... everything feels *light* and snappy. Xcode starts up rapidly (no more than 5 seconds to load my projects), and is usable right away. Yes, Xcode’s “inspections” aren't as “deep” as AppCode’s, and the lack of semantic highlighting in Xcode is a (somewhat bitter) loss. But at least I can get code written.
Out of total desperation I tried the latest 2019.3 EAP builds. Both the latest build, and the one before latest, are sl ll ooo oo ooo wwww w. So slow, in fact, that it feels as if I’m typing into a remote SSH session over a very slow 9600bps connection. Completely unusable.
I don't know what Jetbrains’ plans for AppCode are, but you guys *seriously* need to do something about the performance problems. I am trying to decide whether to cancel my subscription tonight or try “one more day”.
I’m not really looking for any suggestions at this point—I’ve tried everything from switching to the latest Java runtimes (via the Choose Runtime plugin), disabled every single plugin inside AppCode (including Git) in an attempt to “lighten the load”. I've tried RAM disks for AppCode's cache / derived data. Tried tweaking JVM settings, allocating more RAM to the JVM, running AppCode off an external (2GBps SSD), etc. All to no avail.
Something is seriously broken / wrong with the current state of affairs, and the trajectory that AppCode’s performance has followed.
If anyone from Jetbrains is listening, please pay attention... there are similar complaints about other Jetbrains products (IntelliJ, PyCharm, etc.) all over the web. This is not an isolated issue, and it is seriously tarnishing Jetbrains’ reputation. At one time I though of Jetbrains as innovators, and my "go-to" tool provider. No more.
If someone has a magic rabbit / silver bullet, I’m willing to give it one last try, but I have my doubts. My time is too precious to spend debugging AppCode, disabling every plugin under the sun, having my rhythm interrupted by “Indexing…”, etc.