I wanted to try a new SQL editor; I gave the DataGrip trial a shot (MacOS 10.15). Here's my experience:
- Installs smoothly, looks nice.
- Helpful "click here to add a database popup"
- Add connection information for two databases. → databases appear
- Click the "expand" arrow under the databases → nothing happens
- Look around for refresh, sync, whatever, commands → nothing there
- Check log console for logs or errors → nothing there
- Find where to open a console, query SELECT 1 → error "Postgres drivers not installed, click here to install"
- Click install → nothing happens
- Click again → nothing happens
- Click expand arrow again → nothing happens
- Try clicking the three dots next to the database name → nothing happens
- Wait a while and try three dots again → finally, some schemas show up, seems the drivers have been installed in the background...
- So I have to tick the schemas in a list of schemas next to the list of schemas for them to appear in the list of schemas? Okay...
- Great, I can see my Postgres data! But I really want to see my MongoDB data...
- Try MongoDB console → Drivers not installed → click here to install
- Click three dots → Nothing happens, no errors, can't connect
- Wait and click again → again nothing
Spent 30 minutes just trying to connect to a database. It's not clear whatsoever what is happening or how I'm supposed to do that. Give up and uninstall.
Hopefully this is helpful in improving the product for future users.