The user experience of working on a remote hfs mount is terrible. With the trend of everything going to the cloud these days, how is there not better support for this type of setup?
1. I actually have to mount a sshfs drive outside of the application
2. If a connection is reset, i have to do it all over again, which causes many annoying problems
3. Loading a remote drive (especially if there is a complex node_modules folder) takes entirely too long.
4. Often if the connection was broken, you must endure this file synchronization process, which some times never resolves. When that occurs I must delete .idea and start over again.
5. Other times, the basic opening of the project takes entirely too long. How long should it take to ls some directories and display a list?
6. While this operation is occurring, webstorm is beach balled and absolutely useless, wasting a lot of my valuable time.
7. Of course an hfs mount to a ubuntu server results in a filesystem case sensitivity mismatch. I dont care about this and neither should your ux be showing me warnings i dont care about.
8 "External file changes sync may be slow" you might as well write, "we arent very good at remote mounts so use another IDE or vim"
You guys can do way better than this. You are writing a program built for programmers. I understand if apple has a piss poor hfs interface, so maybe you should find another way to allow people to do this, like maybe have a headless remote system that monitors the files in a project afar, so you dont have to resync.
Where there is a will, there is a way, but honestly, after this many years, it just comes across like you are unwilling.