I have found a ticket that has since been closed, somebody complaining about 2020.3 being slow:
This is exactly my same issue and this has NOT been resolved, in fact it just became worse with each version apparently. Ever since 2020.2, every time I open up the software (on Debian by the way), it takes a lot of time.
1. On 2020.2 it would index every few weeks / months or so. Which is very acceptable.
2. On 2020.3, it was the first version (in my experience) where it started indexing every time I opened up the sofware, taking 1m-2m or so on my various projects.
I used to snap revert my package because of it, but snap package manager cannot be configured to NOT update packages (what a stupidly annoying decision but this is another story), so every few days I would see my PHSTtorm back up to 2020.3.
So, I just caved in because of snap pm, and just let my PHPStorm software get updated quarterly, because I deemed that should be the case, anyway, ultimately.
3. FINALLY, on 2021.2.2, I am as of now at 2021.2.2 and the indexing has become SO SLOW and problematic that it now takes 5m EACH TIME I open up the software.
My system is by no means slow either, this should be clear.
My configuration does not even matter, because the simple fact of the matter is this:
- 2020.2 was fast;
- 2020.3 started indexing every time, it was... somewhat acceptable;
- and by 2021.2 however, indexing is extremely slow and CONSTANT, nigh on impossible to work with.
Have to switch project? Wait 5minutes.
Have to free up resources for something else? Wait 5minutes reopening it.
Have to work with 2 (or god forbid, 3 or 4 microservices) at once? Wait 5m, 5m, 5m.
Have to restart system?
Well, it's at a point where I dread doing either, now it's at the point where it's in the back of my head: "&*^&, I have to restart PHPStorm".
Willing to bet this:
99% of your users would rather choose a reliable, fast, software in place of one that has 500 extra bells and whistles since 2020.2 onwards, making it nigh on impossible to work with.
The bells and whistles (let's look at one example: remote coding, CodeTogether or CodeWithMe or whatever you call it) is realistically used by a small % of users and can be worked without anyway, we had perfectly fine solutions and workarounds.
But making it THIS slow in favour of adding such bells and whistles ?
IT AFFECTS 100% OF THE USERS.
What going on, Jetbrains? Please make PHPStorm reliable like 2020.2 was.
I am left with either the option to do a standalone installation of 2020.2 (not snap !), or move to Visual Studio or something