I am currently having a go at WSL2 with IDEA again.
It seems it is still not really mature, there are a lot of strange, intermittent bugs. I would report all the bugs, but most of the time I cannot really reproduce them myself. Also, often I am unsure if IDEA is to blame.
Is it just me and my setup or something in my applications? Is IDEA with WSL2 working for everybody else?
Random problems I encountered:
- When starting a Spring Boot app: "An operation is not implemented: Not yet implemented"
Next attempt to start most often works fine.
- Running a gradle application works fine, trying to debug using the same run config hangs for a minute, then gives something along the lines of "JDWP: No transport initialized". This I cannot reproduce anymore at all.
- Application starts halfsway through, but then just hangs.
- A gradle run config that uses a JDK in WSL2 seems to automatically start in the WSL2 environment. Yet, the IDEA Run Config still has a "Run on" configuration, where I could additionally configure a gradle installation in WSL2. This is confusing. It works in WSL2 even if I leave "Run on" set to "Local machine". Also, I can only configure a fixed gradle installation in WSL2, not say "Use gradle wrapper".
- Not IDEA related: VPN did not work together with WSL2 (fixed by using Cisco Annyconnect from the MIcrosoft Store instead of using the Cisco Download).
- gerrit plugin does not work with WSL2 at all (fixed by us having migrated to bitbucket anyway - which was the push I needed to try WSL2 again)
- npm install also sometimes has problems reaching our internal repository (artifactory) - again most of the times it works fine